Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logan River
I fished it for the first time on the gorgeous saturday we had last week. Talk about spooky trout. I thought the south fork of the snake was bad.

I had no clue were to go. Ended up going up above 3rd dam, and parked at the camp ground and fished the slower back water on the south side of the river.

Was awesome to see all the fish up in the shallows feeding. Had a hard time getting fish to take anything on the surface. Ended up pulling 3 off with a pheasant tail nymph and 1 big fat whitefish too. Got farther up and figured it was a good spot to try dragging streamers. Its not something I am good at. Ended up pulling in 2 on a cone head black bugger with peacock dubbed body. Was dumb luck. Both were nice fish. Fished out that area and had a couple guys that I watched smoke a j crowd me so I took off and ended up at the mouth of the canyon right below the water house. I could see some fish taking mayflys off the surface. Ended up fishing that hole for an hour and snaked a couple of browns out, nothing big, one on a dry, and one on a bead head pheasant tail.

All in all awesome day on some new water. I drove by that river 3 or 4 times a week when I lived there headed up snowboarding and I really hadn't gotten into throwing flys then so was nice to take a trip down and fish some new water. Hopefully Ill get the chance to learn it better and get away from the crowds .
[signature]
The Logan can be a great stream. Try fishing a little further up the canyon in the faster pocket water with a dry/dropper. Use a tungsten bead on the dropper to get it down in that fast water. They are definitely spooky up there, but less so when you have more fast water to mask your presence. There are more cutties up there too if you like catching them.
[signature]
I <3 the Logan. My fav is around Red Banks campground, about half way to Bear Lake. I've got some beautiful big cutts out of that section and you'll have a lot less company. Just have to remember to stay downstream from the bridge until it opens back up in July.
[signature]
ya we go up to the idaho border and fish now that i have an idaho lisense we dont half to stop.
[signature]
LOGAN IS NICE EXCEPT WHEN A CAR HONKS IN YOUR BACK CAST AND YOU SNAG A TREE [mad]
[signature]
Pretty sweet. Wish I was closer to that river!
[signature]
That's the only thing I don't like about The Logan, all the traffic noise.
[signature]
To kill the noise use an mp3 player, led zep or the who works very well....
[signature]
Good point, I'll have to give it a try next time.
[signature]
I plan on hitting it a bit this summer and blacksmith fork. My gf goes to usu so ill be making trips down. As far as noise its not too bad, you guys should try clear creek in Colorado the bank ends literally on I70. It's a wee bit noisy but the fishing is good
[signature]
That's exactly how I ended up living in Cache Valley. I was dating my wife who was going to USU in the summer through an outreach program, and while visiting her I fell in love with the place.

Logan Canyon isn't super noisy, some people's stereos and the semi's engine brakes can be a little obnoxious, it's just not as peaceful as some of the other streams in the area. It's a beautiful canyon and a great place for some nice cutts and browns.
[signature]
[quote fisherman_jr]ya we go up to the idaho border and fish now that i have an idaho lisense we dont half to stop.[/quote]

So you too eh? If you and your dad are into hitting some of those Preston lakes - I'm game. Got my sticker, so I'm ready to roll for some big bass, gills, trout and musky even! Not to mention hopes of monster perch!

All that traffic noise if why I've never liked camping up there much. But the river does have some great territory (long as you don't come up on a moose or a skunk!). Still nothing like hunkering under a bridge on the Valley View with semis whipping pebbles at ya!

I've never really fished above the dams, and with the tying experimentation, think it's time to start flinging some fluff!
Always liked the look of the area above Rick springs. Lots of bushes and such, but at least not so much trees by the river.

Been playing on the lower Logan lately. Pitching spinners out by the golf course. Poking around Spring Creek some more. There's some playful browns in there. Unlikely spots, but they like those culverts for protection.

There's alot of river overflow out by 6th West, and some ditches that are now rivers. Didn't find any monsters, but some fun tugs, and aggresive hits.