Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
channel cats?
I made a set line/trot line, im no stranger to catching channel cats but when it comes to a number of hooks and only being checked once a day im stumped. what bait should use because my go to is chicken liver, and anybody thats ever used chicken liver knows its hard to bait and i dont think it'll last that long.....and i havnt had to much luck on carp meat this year maybe it just needs to get a little warmer.........any help?
[signature]
I think you hit it right on the head...the water needs to warm up a bit, plain and simple. Then they'll tend to be more active looking for the goodies.

Usually carp meat does the trick, but so does shrimp and other kinds of 'stink' baits. Seems I've caught most of my Channels on just a plain 'ol Crawler. TD catches his on jigs for cryin' out loud. Coolest thing I've ever seen.
[signature]
I prefer whitebass perch or chub for kitty bait. Never done as good with carp.
[signature]
White Bass minnows and Chicken Liver are my favorites for Channel Cats.

I caught a few at Willard Last year using a wax worm, Meal worm,and salmon egg combo on a hook.
[signature]
Pre hook the liver with treble hooks with the snell setup, garlic salt the hell out of them and bake them in the sun. Attach the hooks to your trot line with swivels and you're good to go. Some people freeze them with the hooks, but they fall off when warm. Good luck
[signature]
what size treble hook do you recomend?
[signature]
not sure where you're located or what waters you're fishing, I've been curious about trotlining myself. But I'll probably stick with a second pole permit for now.
Ever try "jugging"? Don't think you can in Utah, but seen it done on Youtube... with real jugs. [Wink]

Ever try wrapping livers or other gouey baits with nylon sacks?

I'd think a nice circle hook - and it might be like Swamp Hunters "Lines Down!"
Locally I've found shrimp, carp, worms to work well. Feller turned me on to beef intestine - as he proved it worked. Maybe I'll eat the shrimp and pitch the guts!

Have you done trot-lining before? Anything to share with those that haven't? (I kjnow it was "in" where I grew up back in the midwest)

and hey - Welcome!!
I don't remember exactly, but they are about the size of the ones on crank baits. You try to but the ones already snelled, but there are guides on the internet. Where are you gonna do it at? I was thinking about during it at cutler in the fall, picking it up after hunting some ducks.
[signature]
"Jugging" is not legal here unfortunately. Well, I say that and then I think of the times that I have gone back to good fishing holes and have found it littered with jugs making it nearly impossible to cast a lure in without snagging a jug line. So yeah, there are pros and cons.

Lots of trotline fisherman where I grew up. Some would use homemade rigs while others would go and buy prepared setlines. I have yet to try it here in Utah but I think the regs say that you are limited to 15 hooks. You also have to attach one end to a fixed structure on land and you can't leave the line unattended.

I enjoy fishing with a rod and reel more than sitting on shore and waiting for fish to get caught with my trotline but that is just me. Nothing wrong with that style of fishing. If I were to use a trotline on Utah Lake (most likely for catfish right?), I would use worms, carp meat, white bass meat, or minnows. Most likely would use the same hooks I use when fishing with a rod and reel for catfish. The thing to remember is that using a trotline/setline is not catch and release fishing since 98% of the time (probably higher) the fish has swallowed the hook and the only way to retrieve it is when you are cleaning that sucker.
[signature]
White bass fillets or just a plain worm. also gulp leeches are good too if you can keep the mudcats off first.
[signature]
[quote wagdog]"Jugging" is not legal here unfortunately. . .

using a trotline/setline is not catch and release fishing since 98% of the time (probably higher) the fish has swallowed the hook and the only way to retrieve it is when you are [#FF0000]cleaning that sucker[/#FF0000].[/quote]

ooh - no, if it's UL, it better not be a sucker! [shocked]
Hmm - so does that affect where you can use one? Do they have restrictions on certain bodies of water.... just curious.

I agree - I'd rather set the hook than just "collect and harvest". And having to stay by the line - I see that, but I could see the perks of "set it and forget it" - meaning - drop a line in, then go fish up river or some such, then check it on your return. Although that could land ya in a heap too 'suppose. Say you caught a limit up river, then found you had more "non-releasable" fish on return. Oops!
I'll probably never get the license to try it, as I'd rather invest in the second pole permit. THAT is money well spent IMHO.
[quote CoyoteSpinner]
Hmm - so does that affect where you can use one? Do they have restrictions on certain bodies of water.... just curious.[/quote]

Quote:R657-13-8. Setline Fishing.
(1) A person may use a setline to take fish only in the Bear River proper downstream from the Idaho state line, including Cutler Reservoir and outlet canals; Little Bear River below Valley View Highway (SR-30); Malad River; and Utah Lake.

(2)(a) Angling with one pole is permitted while setline fishing, except as provided in Subsection (b).

(b) A person who obtains a second pole permit may fish with two poles while setline fishing.

(3) No more than one setline per angler may be used and it may not contain more than 15 hooks.

(4)(a) A setline permit may be obtained through the division's web site, from license agents and division offices.

(b) A setline permit is required in addition to a valid Utah one day, seven day or annual fishing or combination license.

© A setline permit is a 365 day permit valid only when used in conjunction with an unexpired Utah one day, seven day or annual fishing or combination license.

(5) When fishing with a setline, the angler shall be within 100 yards of the surface or bank of the water being fished.

(6) A setline shall have one end attached to a nonmoving object, not attached to a fishing pole, and shall have attached a legible tag with the name, address, and setline permit number of the angler.

(7) Anglers under 12 years of age must purchase a valid Utah one day, seven day or annual fishing or combination license and setline permit in order to use a setline.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=set+line+fishing+re...ns+in+Utah
[signature]
[quote CoyoteSpinner]
ooh - no, if it's UL, it better not be a sucker! [shocked]
[/quote]
HA. Sorry. I forget that using the word sucker can be easily misconstrued on a fishing forum. I just meant a fish. [Wink]

[quote CoyoteSpinner]
I'll probably never get the license to try it, as I'd rather invest in the second pole permit. THAT is money well spent IMHO.[/quote]

It really is even though sometimes I think it is unfortunate we have to buy a permit to use an additional rod/reel. Granted, my opinion is a result of where I grew up. I am not up on the current regulations in Texas but when I was a teenager, there was no limit to the amount of rods used when fishing. You just needed the license.

When I saw the thread on Umbrella Rigs, I thought someone was maybe referring to Spider Rigging which is extremely popular for crappie in some parts of the country but not legal here. Well I guess it is but your Spider Rig would consist of 2 rods (assuming you had the second pole permit) instead of the typical 6-8 rods.

All said and done, I think it is worth the money to be able to fish two different rods at the same time. A lot of times I will rig one up with bait and the other I will use to jig or throw cranks or some other more finesse type lure.
[signature]
The second pole permit is total bs. No matter how many poles you have out, you can only keep so many fish per the regs. I'd love to know the reasoning behind the second pole fee besides revenue. It's the same with the cutbait rule as well, one inch square, what does it matter if you use one inch or the whole fish, it's seriously dumb.
[signature]
+1 on the cutbait law. stupid in my opinion. the second pole permit is only good for me if im on the hard deck. cuase usually when im fishing open water im an active fisherman with the baits and lures i use, just sitting there waiting for a bite on two poles can get boring.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The 1" size limit on cutbait applies only to waters with tiger muskies in them. And for good reason. Anglers were using whole perch (dead or alive) and hanging them on a big treble hook. High mortality rate when you rip one of those out of a muskie.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On Utah Lake and other waters you can use a half a carp if you want...or a full one. Knock yerself out.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
ya i thought so , i always use a whole white bass for catfish on the jordan, they just slurp em right up. pretty cool the land a big channel with a decent sized white bass hanging off his lip like a piercing, pretty cool.
[signature]
I just read the proc section about bait and I don't see the one inch bait restriction anywhere, did they finally change it?
[signature]
Never mind, found it, looks like its all water specific, time to break out he shark hooks baby!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]NOT all water specific. Go back to the proclamation and look up the special regs for Newton and Pineview. No whole fish and cut bait no bigger than 1".[/#0000ff]
[signature]