Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beaver Ponds
Hit up the South Fork of the Ogden river today, got up there at about 3 or so and the river was much higher than it was last week, so I decided to drive up past Causey res. and see if I could find some luck on that little spring creek that flows down out of the Monte Cristo area and dumps into the South Fork. I've never fished that far up before and I was wondering if there were even any fish in there at all... I was hoping to find some Brookies hanging in there, but I didn't see any... On the drive up I was trying to spot some good holes n' such at the same time trying to keep from driving into the ditch (sometimes I get excited and try to do too many things at once, haha.) Pulled over at a few spots and scouted some good looking beaver ponds. After a bit of observation I spotted a few fish cruising around and actively feeding, I couldn't tell exactly what they were feeding on but there were a lot of bugs in the water and skittering around on the surface. From what I could see all the fish were cutts, and a few looked to be a decent size too. I got really excited and decided to try and throw around an adams... No love... Ended up spooking 'em a bit, but I was surprised at how fast they would return to actively feeding and cruising after I spooked the pool. Finally poked around a bit in the muck and watched the bugs that would swim out. I found the smallest zebra midge that I had, tied it on, greased my leader up and threw it out there. After watching my fly sit there for a bit, I saw one of the bigger cutts cruising right at it, I saw the white of his mouth open up and boom! Got 'em! Aww man! I was so psyched! Played 'em in, took a few pics, let 'em go. He had some good color and I would venture to say was probably wild... This was my first fish out of a beaver pond and I gotta say I freakin' love fishing beaver ponds! It's like hunting for fish! You've gotta be sooo stealthy... On the way down the canyon I tried a few other spots but the river was flowing a little high and fast, so I decided to take off.
[signature]
AWESOME! Nice fish and great write up
[signature]
Good writeup. These type of stories are fun to read. That is a nice fish. Good job catching it on a small fly. Can be so challenging but its the reason we keep coming back!
[signature]
Nice,I have hit that before,tough to fish but worth the fight of stealth and patience. Pretty Cutt!
[signature]
Nice work! Beaver ponds are where it's at right now with muddy rivers.
[signature]
That's a sweet story! There is nothing better than sneaking up on a big fish in a small stream and watching him take your fly.
[signature]