Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sandy Gills on the new fly rod 5-9
I hit the sandy pond from 7pm to 9pm. I caught 12 bluegills using a ice cream cone fly. It was great to use my new rod and see how she works. Never been able to cast so far! For 30 mins I tried for bass with different colored senko worms along the reeds with my spin rod. No love.
I heard they dumped in catfish and some guys got 3 while I was there. Next time I am bringing my baits along. Rainbows were few and far between. I almost backcasted a gill to shore LOL! 1st oficial gills on flies.
My twin hit a few creeks today that will never be named. He had a way better day than me.

Here was the 1st gill to come to hand
[Image: 789203.JPG]
[signature]
Two words.

Get a rod case before your brother breaks another one![Tongue] He is evil after all. I've actually back-casted a very small trout up into the trees before. Congrats on the gills! Just wait til you accidentally get a catfish on a fly!

Matt
[signature]
I am getting a PVC version very soon! I have caught cutts, rainbows, and now a bluegill. I did cheat once and put a worm on a hook and caught a lot of black bullhead cats on the fly rod, as well as a gill or 2.

I am never leaving home without the fly rod from now on. White Bass, Crappie, Smallmouth Bass, and Brown trout are on the fly rod bucket list. Those spawns are close so it shouldn't be too long!
[signature]
sounds like fun XD. I havent caught a fish on my fly rod since febuary at highland glen. Catching those fat spawning trouts and fighting hard on a wooly bugger those were some good times. Hope i can go catch some trout on my fly rod this weekend maybe kidney pond and slay them like last year XD good times. People watch me cast 3 time catch a fish and they get nothing XD.
[signature]
Is the reel on right? I thought most reels were set up for left hand retrieve, or maybe you are left handed[blush]
[signature]
Oddly enough I use the reel the same, although I'm not left handed. When I first started fly fishing that is how I learned and I can't stand it the other way. The reels that I have purchased have a metal piece that allows you to switch to whatever hand you want.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Is the reel on right? I thought most reels were set up for left hand retrieve, or maybe you are left handed[blush][/quote]

I am right handed but for retrieval reeling I use my left hand. Yep I tried the right handed way for that one fish and man it felt wierd. Instant switch was performed.

That reel is 13 years old and came with my old rod/reel combo. No drag on that puppy!
[signature]
I have an old South Bend that is right hand and I just can not get use to switching hands to reel and using left hand to strip.

Glad to hear you are back at the flies.
[signature]
I have an old reel that you could have. Its not fancey but it has a drag on it..Next time you guys are up this way remind me.
[signature]
Will do. Thanks a billion buddy!
[signature]