Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Castaic fishing report for 10/18
[cool] We arrived a 5:30 am. Water temp was 76degrees. There were not alot of jumpers on the water. But I did take my flyswatter with me this time.

I decided to try some of the new ammo that was sent to me by TubeDad and quickly rigged up the fly rod while my son, tubeNtoo was hooking up the heavy artillary for the big boys to play with.

After several successful casts there was nothing. I went through most of my new selection but couldn't get anything to take. As soon as I rerigged on the spinning rod with the same flies, it made a whole new presentation for them and they changed their mind as to the menu items. This was the same approach as saltwater fly casting.

Before sunrise I already caught 4 LMB. All under 30# so they went back into the water. 1-5lb 1-3lb 1-2 1/2 and 1- 6incher.(you guess the weight).ha ha.

By sunrise, we heavy into bluegill action. Not only were they hitting on their regular waxies, but they were also banging on a new black spinner fly made by TD.

In the past I could never get them to hit on crawlers. This time was different. They were going for my home made green crawlers with essence of chovy scent. I am going to make some Euro worms next.

We ended up catching 40 gills between 3/4 and 1 1/4 lbs each. Guess what we had for dinner?? I only took 20 home and left 20 for torpedo Tommy and cousins...............plural!!!! There are more hanging around the pier now. They appear to be in the 15-20lb range. But none of them are Moby Dick.

We are still trying and are not giving up. We left the Lagoon at 11:00am. Water temp 84degrees. Ambient temp 92deg.
[signature]
Hey TubeN2...looks like you had a great time....Man I sure would like to get some 1 1/4lb bluegills....you were talking about home made crawlers....is that home poured soft plastics or a tied fly worm?...could you post a photo of it here?...I'd love to see it...I tie my own bluegill jigs/fly too...nothing better than a customized fly....too bad we dont have grass shrimp in our waters here....at least not that I have seen...grass shrimp I personally think nothing can pass it up....I made some once and they just smacked them up....
[signature]
Hey there tubeN2,

Rats the flyswatter didn't produce. Oh well! You guys are really hangin' in there anyways. One thought I had about Tommy and those guys always hanging around the dock is that.... Bass are so territoral when they get bigger and with a bunch of them always hanging around a certain area you can bet that Moby Dick is somewhere else.

I'm not being a wiseihiemer but I'll bet Moby Dick has his territory all laid out and lots of other smaller fish kinda avoid his lair (if they know he's there).

JapanRon
[signature]
Hey JR, They flyswatter was working on the Bluegills. They were hitting on the little black spinner flies from TD. They stopped after awhile and I put on one of my old favorites. The Renegade. Great trout fly but the bluegill love them too in some areas.
[signature]