Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Eight was enough!"
One day my boss and I were talking about going fishing in the area and he recomended a float trip near his home that he had gone one a few years before. He said he had caught many bass and it would be a really good time.<br>I called up a friend of mine and asked him if he could join me and the trip was set.<br>The following weekend we met my boss at his home and loaded his john boat into his truck. After dropping my car off we went up stream several miles to get started. He said the trip would take about eight hours to finish. He also said we could go on a twelve hour trip if we wanted but we thought eight hours would be enough.<br>We were off. My partner was new to fishing but I had fished for the majority of my life so I promised to show him the ropes.<br>At first the fishing was slow. For the first few hours we were only catching a small bass here and there.<br>Soon it was evident why. Around the corner we could see someone ahead of us float fishing the same small river. Luckly they stopped on shore for a break and we made our move.<br>Immediately after passing them our luck improved. We were catching bass left and right and I was beginning to redeem myself in the eyes of my partner. That is until I went to land a bass that had just decided on some revenge. Before I could react, it jumped and stuck two of the three treble hooks past the barb into my thumb and forefinger.<br>There I stood in the middle of nowhere with a wiggeling bass and a crayfish lure securley attached to my fingers. After my partner quit laughing we had to do something and quick. All I could think of was how silly I would look going to the doctor to have a crayfish removed from my fingers. So first we removed the bass and then began to pull out the hooks. We only had pliers. No first aid kit or anything else. I tried pushing the hooks through past the barb but that hurt too much. Finally, I pinched my fingers tight to deaden them and my partner pulled. Ouch! But they came out.<br>Needless to say I was very carefull the rest of the day. <br>We continued on and after a couple more hours we rounded a corner with some fast flowing rapids. To our horrified suprise, Standing in the middle of the river was a herd of about thirty or forty black angus cows.<br>All I could envision was mad cows, a stampeed, a capsized boat and death by trampleing. Luckily the cows were more scared than we were. They took off in all directions before we had a chance to reach them.<br>Another dodged bullet. Speaking of bullets...We had no idea that we had chosen the first day of quail season to set out on our adventure. As the day went on and we floated on down the river, we began to hear gun shots.<br>The further we floated down the river the louder they got. After the next gun shot we hear several pinging sounds.<br>It took us about a second to realize that we were taking fire. On the deck we went.<br>The hunter on the shore did not know we were there and was shooting directly at us. The next shot delivered even more pellets. This time we were ready.<br>After the next pelting, we got up off of the floor of the boat we and started yelling at the hunter.<br>Once we got his attention he acted like he didn`t do it but we saw no other hunters. Luckily once again we didn`t get hurt. <br>Finally after twelve long hours, not eight like my boss had first said, lots of fish and more excitement than one fella could stand, I saw my beautiful car and the trip was over.<br>Thank god we didn`t decide to go on the twelve hour trip!<br><br>by jeffreyhelmick : Wednesday 20 September, 2000 <br><br><br><br>Submit your Fishing Adventure Stories to win great prizes at ReMemory.Com