Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YELLOWFIN
Rumar has it the city of long beach out of marina sportfishing went to look at some 30 lb yellowfin tuna outside of newport today and havent heard how they did. Im sure if the fish our there the FREELACE got a look today and we should whatch the paper or call to find out status. Thats skiff range and theres nothing better than catching a nice big fish on a small boat! Good Luck. Wish I could go but Im beached till tue. Im sure I will be getting reports to pass along all week.
[signature]

Hey there bobbybigfish,

Thank you very much for the info. It would be really great to have the yellowfin breezing thru the Catalina Straights like they did two years ago. After fishing the island it was so cool doing half a dozen stops over dolphins for a couple of schoolie 10lb YFT per stop. With the tuna guys knowing what was going on and the once-a-year-anglers cowering in the galley watching all these crazy guys ,it was funny beyond discription.

I'm afraid you know more than me about this tuna business. I haven't fished tuna for over two years. Sorry. But....I don't like leaving questions unanswered in some way. On the basis of what I know from buddies, a number of the medium 2-speed reels can handle the 60lb to 100lb tuna you were talking about and I was told to not waste your money on anything less! Seems like guys are prefering the shorter rods with fast tips with the new style roller guides.

But you knew that! There are a few tuna fishing boards out there that would jump on your question.

JapanRon
[signature]
I heard reports that the 302 were pulling in YFT along with some tails. I will be headed out there this Sat and will report when I return, unless its too foggy to go!!
[signature]

Hey there EatB4URelease,

Thank you! That will be great and if you have a camera some grip and grin pics would be most welcome. What tackle are you taking? I'd like to know what you'll be fishing with if you would be so kind. Who know's when those guys will show up!

Good luck and awaiting the news good or bad.

JapanRon
[signature]
Whats up JR,

I plan on taking 1 straight 25lb'r and 1 25lb'r w/a flouro leader (invisible). I will let you know what gets hit the most. Someone told me the invisible leader has a 5 to 1 hit ratio... I will let you know. Hope they show up locally soon... this 2hr drive sucks.

L8R-
[signature]