Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Dry flies for Uintas?
Hello all, I am heading up for a backpacking trip in the Uintas very soon and could really use some advice on what dries will work up there. I was there last week at around Washington lake using black gnats, humpys and adams and I did have a great time catching some brooks and tigers but there was much of the time when fish were surfacing all around my flies and left them alone. Any advice on what flies are hot in the high uintas and in what size so I can stock up before the trip would be much appreciated!
[signature]
Try taking griffith's gnat patterns. Size 18 and 16. Also the black gnat with a red tail, you will find them at Sportsmen's.

You may also want to take some bead headed prince nymphs, just let the bead head slowly drag them down.

And take wooly buggers, in size 6 and 4, so not too big. Brown colors, and black.

Good luck to you!
[signature]
Try this also.

Higa's SOS

http://www.orvis.com/store/search_result...yword=higa

not sure if anyone other than orvis sells it.

Spencer Higa is the Head Guide for Falcon's Ledge and invented this one for fishing around there.
[signature]
in the uintas the fish dont see all that much fishing pressure and are usually easy to catch on just about any bug aslong as you have the color and size close enough, right now id go with PMD's or renegades, also big stimulators are good too even though its not a prime time for those up there it usually doesent matter, try a double humpy or something that looks similar.
[signature]
Just got back from there. More than I can count on a #16 Royal Wulff and as mentioned a#18 bead head Prince on e 2 foot dropper. Doubled several times. Grand Slam. Rainbow, Tiger, Brookies, and Grayling.

Also, the RAINBOW WARRIOR invented by Lance Egan, the manager for Cabela's fishing department and also a member of the US Fly Fishing team, not to mention, tons of magazine articles....GREAT FLY!!!
[signature]
Had to share this.....Royal Wulff:

[Image: IMG_4454.jpg]
[signature]
I have been up there for the past 2 weeks and im going this week as well and i have had luck on black wolly buggers with a flasher and elk hair caddis. If you planning to fish the river elk hair caddis is an amazing choice I had tons of luck on it latly. What out for a guy with his crazy hair and fly fishing ^_^
[signature]
You are a strange little man ^_^
[signature]
I'd rather look different from other people instead the same and boring hair like others.
[signature]
That's cool, but you do realize you are not the only one, right? That hair style has been done before.
[signature]
hey hes still young probly just going through typical high school phase, heck in high school i had hair to my butt like a hippie but i got over that phase. hey aslong as your hair doesent scare the fish your good.
[signature]
I know some one around the world has done it but not a lot of people do what i do with mine. Plus if your gona compair mine with ETDT its not even close to the same just saying.
[signature]
LOL Just saying, it really is nothing new:
[Image: BillyIdolpunkhair.jpg]

[Image: Punkhairstyles.jpg]

I even went through the Big Hair rocker phase.
[signature]
thats not even what i do >_< lol
[signature]
LOL lets try to get back to the topic here though. Was up on the lake yesterday and still no love for the Caddis. I know they work, but the Royal Wulff has been getting the job done. Plus that little dropper.[Wink]
[Image: IMG_4447.jpg]

And the Tigers are getting bigger...wohoooo!

[Image: GOPR0081-1.jpg]
[signature]
+1 to what everyone else said....

Although the Mosquito pattern from Sportsmans works great as a dry...I nailed brookie after brookie with that pattern...till they busted up the pattern. The Mosquito pattern from Fish Tech is great too...but they cost double, and if you are a newbie to fly fishing like me....be light with your cast...they tend to "explode" with harder casts.

For size...the smaller the better!
[signature]
Well I realized I never reported back on my uintas trip. Thanks to all who gave advice it was helpful. We ended up camping at Weir lake. Weir wasnt really poppin so we spent most of our time at Marjorie and Duck lake. We caught many a greyling at Marjorie and Ive seen alot of people say that greyling tastes bad but I dont know where they were getting their greyling because we all thought they were delicious, even better than the brook trout and cutthroat we caught. We caught only cutthroat at Duck and only brook at Pot. The hot tickets seemed to be renegades, sulfur duns, small stimulators and yellow sallies for dries and the brooks at pot really loved the rainbow warrior under a stimulator. Got to get back up there soon.
[signature]
[quote Flyfishinglover]I'd rather look different from other people instead the same and boring hair like others.[/quote]
Got it.
[Image: 5aaedeca.jpg]
[signature]
And that is yet another insiteful post from Mojorizing.

Let me be the 1st to bet $20 that FFL flies off the handle bars.
[signature]
The mosquito pattern in action!

[Image: 733478.JPG]

[Image: 733480.JPG]

[Image: 733482.JPG]
[signature]