Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irvine Press Opener
"A Blast!!!! Iwas invited with bobbybigfish and Jed Welsh to a special day of fishing only for the PRESS in Irvine. We were in a pontoon boat and fishing in one of my standard locations and catching trout to 2 lbs "hand over fist" We caught and released over 70 trout in the AM. After lunch we drove our pontoon boat to where they were dumping brook trout into the lake.We watched them stock 6000 pounds of "brookies" and every fish was 2 pounds or more. As they became accustomed to the lake their antics were really fun to watch. They all jumped out of the water, doing 1 1/2 loops into the air. They swam with their dorsals out of the water like puddling yellowtail and it seemed that all 3000 fish were on top of the water splashing around at the same time.... but they are still there because darn it, they WOULD NOT BITE anything we threw at them. They disappeared in about an hour. I'll bet they bite today though. It usually takes them a day to get hungry. In all my years of fishing the Sierras I have never seen a brook trout over 10 inches long (most are 5 inches) but the Irvine "brookies are unbelievable.PS Fish the stocking tube area off Trout Island.
[signature]

Hi gvanzant,

Heard you guys had a great time. Nice fishies. Your fishing buddy has begun to visit the California board recently. I'm sure you had at least a small hand in that and I convey my thanks.

bobbybigfish is certianly a welcome poster here, if only he'll spill the beans on any seceret spots you chose not to divulge here! ha ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]