Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
success
i got up this morning at 6:30 made it to my little pond at 7 to start my first fly fishing adventure. it was a cool morning with a small amount of rain coming down. the fish were feeding like crazy. the first fly i tried had several hits in the first half hour. i wasn't quite used to how i had to set the hook with a fly pole, but finally got it figured out and landed my first fish on a fly pole.

after i got the first one i was super excited and instantly hooked to fly fishing. i only caught one more and then the rain set in. i wasn't mad about the rain it is much needed for the fires and the dry farming season we have had.
Thanks for all the advice that everyone has given me. it is much appreciated. question though? what affect does rain have on fishing? good or bad? do certain things work in the rain?
[signature]

[signature]
It is a "Fly Rod" not a pole, just setting on the right path for the future.
Ponds are great, but they are also easier. A great place to practice, but don't get discouraged or over confident when hitting other waters.
I find rain a great time to fish. Dries and emergers seem to do great. A storm moving in however can put the trout down.
I envy you getting out this morning, I bet it was perfect.
[signature]
Brian-

Cool news. Catching your first fish on a fly is most likely a moment you'll never forget. I'll bet you can't wait to get back out there again? Oh, by the way, what did you get 'em on?

gaetz
[signature]
Congrats! You never forget your first fish on a fly. Last year I bought a $60 rod and reel combo (included fly line and leader). Caught a surprising number of fish on that set-up and it still does when used by my daughter (albeit with a little nicer reel).

Once I knew it was more than a passing fancy, I went crazy buying nicer gear, and while it adds to the ease and the pleasure of casting a fly, a fighting trout on the $60 rod is as much fun as on an expensive rod.

Just my two cents, and I'm sure others may have better informed opinions, but I found replacing the fly line and the leader to really improve the casting performance (and it was just a $24 line on sale at Cabelas). Good leaders are your bread and butter, and the Sportsman's Warehouse ones work fine for a few dollars.

I would suggest getting a few furled leaders from Flygoddes. They made dry fly casting easier for me and they last much longer than a mono leader -- you just have to add some feet of tippet at the end and you're ready to go.

The plastic reel was OK, but upgrading to a metal reel was a nice change, but not necessary if the the plastic one is sufficient to easyly cast and land trout.

However, if your set-up ain't broke, then no need to fix it.
[signature]
[quote Bob55][/quote]

WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! LOL second thoughts?
[signature]
Sorry Not high tech Maybe the other one posted
[signature]
What other one?
[signature]
Tried to tell the kid about fishing in the rain..Story about 20 years old..Fishing by vivian park and baetis beating beaten up by rain..Probably didnt do it right...Got accused of being a lurker last week in Idaho, thought I'd try to post. Give up!!High Tech as a Hawken Rifle...Bob
[signature]
Good rifle, don't stop, love to hear more.
[signature]
When the old Chalet Cafe was there they had the French Doors on the South. My boy and I were drinking coffee,watching fly flingers on 6'' centers out in the river. When the rain came and everybody ran out of the river, we noticed that not all the splashes were rain drops. BWOs were hatching like crazy, and they couldn't dry their wings, were getting slammed and being crippled by heavy rain drops, and the browns were on them hard.We waded out and caught maybe 20 without even moving. Baetis like gray rainy days. .They will hatch through October on the Canyon...Hope this posts...Bob
[signature]
Way to go Brian!!![Smile]
[signature]