Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone have bee's
So i planted a 2 acre pumpkin, watermelon patch this year, I seem to be getting fruit just fine but I am noticing a shortage of bees and think that my next project will be getting some bee boxes. I know nothing about bees and would like to pick your mind if you have bees
[signature]
I've read up a little on it...its not as easy as putting up some boxes...its quite a chore keeping the hive up and winterizing it. Im sure its probably easier than I read it...but I am not ready to hassle with itWink
[signature]
yeah i have read up on it a bit also. the wintering isnt the part that worries me its more worrying about checking on them. I always figured you didnt have to worry about them in the summer but from what i read it says you have to check on them almost weekly to check for queen eggs and swarm signs. But i do know that the gain in vegys would be worth it. i have over 100 watermelons on but only a couple pumpkins so far. Now i have to figure what i am going to do with all my melons... i still have 400 plants that i planted from seed that are just starting to blossom!
[signature]
set you up a fruit stand...Smile Also Ive read that putting an electric fence around them will keep the bears out...if you are in a location where there are bears. I might try my hand at it next year...
[signature]
I am thinking of doing a fruit stand and probly some farmer markets... but that will take out of my fishing time, and probly deer season, but time is money right.
[signature]
Deer season and fishing...or run a fruit stand..hmm tough decision..
[signature]
I have keep bees in the past. It can be pretty expensive. There are a lot of problems now with some imported parasites the kill off the hives.

What I suggest you do is contact a bee keeper in your area, and see if he will put a couple of hives on your property. If you live in a good honey area, they might be very happy to find a site they can set some hives up on. Also if you want get started it would be good to see how things work up close, and you may be able to buy a hive split from them.
[signature]
If you want to start a hive on a backyard basis, you might look into top bar hives.
[signature]
I also should mention that it is way too late this year to start a hive.
[signature]
i know a few guys in the area that have hives. and they have some in my area. that is probly were i would get a hive is to get a hive from one of them. they would be willing to sell me one. The garden is looking good. I probly have close to 300 melons on, pumpkins are a bit behind they are just coming on.
[signature]
Good luck on your garden! I worked with a beekeeper for a year and did everything from extracting honey to splitting hives and supering. I haven't personally kept my own hives but I don't think it would be too difficult. We didn't check on our hives every week at all. As long as you can be sure that the bees have enough room to expand and not too much you should be fine. That's where supering comes in. We built all our own boxes and frames too. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll see if I can answer.
[signature]