Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flounder Tips
Hey everyone,

Posted the same question in Bay Fishing but it seems like that forum is mostly fishing reports, so I figured I'd post my question here.

I'm going to Sunset Beach on Friday for a family vacation (about 20 minutes north of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina). It's an island that has a bay, and we have a house on that bay with a dock, so when I'm not out golfing, I'll likely be on the dock with my fishing pole.

I'm looking to catch some flounder. Probably my favorite fish to eat down there, but I've always had trouble catching them. I know they stick to the bottom and ambush, but I don't know the best way to go about catching them. So if any of you have any suggestions to increase my chances of landing a few, I would greatly appreciate it. And I'm looking for anything: i.e. bait, how to rig the line, time of day etc. We've always just used live shrimp or minnows with a bobber. My grandpa has caught a good bit of them in the past, but I've got 1 in about 15 or 16 trips to the beach. haha.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
[signature]
I catch my flounder with the bait on the bottom. We drift in a boat to find the schools, so I'm not sure you'll have alot of luck on a dock. They like sandy bottom, some times with eel grass. Fish the edge of channels or find a hump and drift past. Local bait like shrimp should work well, and you can buy flounder rigs that have a T with two hooks.
If your committed to the dock, keep your bait on the bottom at all times.
[signature]