Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot Fishing
[cool]Hey California Gang...is everybody okay over there? I lived in California for many years...and saw lots of fires...but never so many and so big at one time.

Hope everyone is okay. I am sure there will be lots of both short term and long range affects on the fishing over there.
[signature]
[Sad][size 1]Hey TubeDude,[/size][font "Times New Roman"]

[b][size 3]Here is a pic taken in my back yard at 10:00am. I live about 20 miles directly south of Claremont. Can't image what the folks who live there must be experiencing.[/size]

[size 3]

[i][b]I feel for all those poor soul who have lost their homes, property, loved ones, pets & animals. It takes many years if ever to recovery from such a tragedy.
Also lost is the beautiful countryside and the millions of various wild life that called that land their home. One reason why I enjoyed fresh water fishing is the serene setting that usually would surrounds me. Was going to tube at Lake Gregory as soon as the weather had cooled down. Unfortunately that area is under heavy fire today. Looks like all the wooded area in the Big Bear & Lake Arrowhead are going to be wiped out. My prayers go out to all those under attack.[/i][/b][/size]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=1369;]
[/font][/b].
[signature]
[cool]That is one of those pictures that is simultaneously sickening but pretty. We see all of the news over here in Arizona, and I see many of my old haunts turning to ashes.

What is Sad is that the few human stories that make the news are only a small drop in a big ocean of all the other tragedies happening daily. I have tried to imagine what it would be like to suddenly be faced with making a decision as to what to take and what to leave...not knowing if anything would be left when you return. For all too many people, they return to burned out lives and heartbreak.

Some things you can't replace, and some people have paid the ultimate price by waiting too long to say goodbye to homes and possessions. The insurance adjusters will put a price tag on the material losses, but how do you even begin to place a value on the human losses...and all the families that will never be the same?

My personal best wishes to all who must continue to live through the chaos and turmoil of the fires. I sincerely hope you are able to weather all of it and emerge with as much of your lives intact as possible. And for those who suffer losses, my deepest condolences.
[signature]

Hi TubeDude,

I live in Lakewood, that's close to Long Beach (3 miles from the ocean) and I can tell you that the fog inversion layer is trapping the smoke at dusk in LA and we actually choke and our eyes burn here. I'm almost the only one fishing the local pond as white ash is softly floating down on my shoulders.

I too feel sorry for those who have and will be the victims especially of the arson-set, and dumb-dumb set fires. As was said, families, individuals lives and whole communities will be shattered by this disaster.

Nothwithstanding the Sad plight of humans, As was said, how about all the other fellow-creatures terrified and unable to escape and presumed dead!

Why didn't Davis act quicker to get air support when the fires were in infancy?

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Hey JapanRon, you make a point that had occured to me too. That is that there will also be a tremendous toll in millions of small creatures and even some larger ones, like deer and coyotes. Some of the larger animals are fast, but often get trapped and/or disoriented and run back into the blazes. Small critters, like squirrels, rabbits, mice and reptiles never have a chance. By the time they notice they are in danger, it is too late and they do not have the knowledge or the speed to escape.

I lived in the Sacramento area for a long time. Back in the late 70's, I was in the real estate busines...selling land and homes in the Sierra foothills, to the east of Sacramento...around Shingle Springs and Placerville. While I was out of town on vacation one summer, a fast-moving fire moved through a large part of the area where we had most of our properties. I got back while there were still wisps of smoke lingering. I was in shock as I walked over once-beautiful rolling hills...with their old oak trees and manzanita stands reduced to ugly ash. And, plainly visible all over the whole landscape were charred remains of hapless critters that had been caught and burned.

I have always been a nature lover, and it almost broke my heart more to see the dead wildlife than to witness the human tragedy of lost homes. I am sure there will be a monstrous blow to the entire ecology in California, wherever these current fires are burning.

You ask WHY Davis did not act sooner...or more aggressively. We also have to ask WHY some people are so warped that they get their jollies by setting fires. There are a million WHY questions. My original philosophy has always been 'WHENEVER YOU ASK A QUESTION THAT BEGINS WITH THE WORD WHY...AND IT HAS TO DO WITH PEOPLE...THERE IS NOT LIKELY TO BE A GOOD ANSWER."

Good luck to you guys and let's hope the changing weather pattern provides a break in the situation and allows the fire fighters a chance to get things under control.
[signature]
Hey TubeDad, we are all fine and dandy here about 5 miles south of the Simi Valley/Chatsworth mountains fire. Here is a pic from north of the blaze from Castaic Lagoon.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=1351;]

And here is a pic from south of it by Wallys World parking lot. All you can see is the smoke filled background of the Flags take at 200 yds away with binocular cam. (just purchased at Wallys World for $59.
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=1391;]

these are some more pics taken around 3:30pm on Monday. There was alot of ash filtering the sunlite. The whole day was lit somewhat like when there is a good eclipse.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=1386;]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=1392;]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=1399;]

Here is our sunrise the next day. Except for the first pic, the rest of them were taken with my new binocular camera. It has a resolution of 640x480 in the hight mode and 320x240 in the low mode. You can take 52 pics in high and 191 in low. I LIKE IT!!!!! I hope they are not too big to post.

That gas station in the background is about 1/2 mile from where I was standing to take the pic.
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=1395;]
[signature]
[cool]Like DryRod's pic, these are simultaneously beautiful but disturbing.

The parameters for posting pics are under 250KB for attachments...and try to keep the posted pics to around 400 pixels wide. Larger ones will post, but not within standard width threads. If you post wider ones, anybody who wants to see it all has to scroll left and right.

Glad you guys are not immediately threatened. A lot of folks were not so lucky, and it looks like the fires will take a heavier toll yet before they are knocked down or run out of fuel.
[signature]
We had some big fires here in Colo. 2 yrs ago and it breaks your heart to see piles of big trout lying on the shore after the first big rains wash all the ash and mud into the rivers then lakes.It'll take yrs to recover if they ever.
[signature]
I live about 20-30 miles south of the Claremont fire. I was driving home from Mammoth on Sunday night from a weekend of fly fishing. I was basking in the wilderness and didn't pay much attention to news. The fishing at Lower Owens was terrific, all browns. It wasn't until I reached Mojave then I saw the fire by Castaic Lake, turned on the radio news and found out all hell broke loose in SoCal while I was away. It is just unbelievable. I left thin foot prints on my drive way as I got home.

I work near Huntington Beach and the air seems to have cleared some today and it actually looks like some rain clouds are forming from the ocean. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
[size 2]I live in Long Beach and Sunday was miserable. Ash friggin everywhere and on everything! So I wash car off and go to work. I get out and it's covered in ash again.[unsure][/size]

[size 2] I finally gave up and accepted the new color of grey for my car[sly][/size]
[signature]
the whole city of cuyamaca is demolished! lake cuyamaca is probably completly screwed up but am not sure.

im in the same boat with JapanRon. we live in the same city.

in the ocean, it was covered in ash with a 1/4" thick film of ash over the water. it was discusting. i think it is gone though. haven't been on the water since sunday.

joe
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Joe, I read your post about getting your new spool of line all gunked up by the ash. Bummer.

I also just heard on our local news that Cuyamaca was total toast. Breaks my heart. I did some good fishing there. So Sad for all the folks who lost everything. Makes you grateful for what you have and that you are able to be out of the worst of it...even if it makes life nasty all around you.

And, for what it's worth, I think that the guest who jumped on your post was a bit over reacting. He doesn't know what a sweet guy you are and that you meant no disrespect to the losses of others. (Choke, choke)

I hope things turn around soon. That has to be totally depressing. I doubt I could even get motivated to want to be on the water with all of that nasty smoke and ash around.
[signature]
well the ash is getting a lot better around my house. and there is an onshore wind, so the ash is pretty much off of the fishing grounds![Smile]

joe
[signature]
All that ask reminds me of my time in Nicaragua. I lived there for 2 years, and for about 6 months I lived in a place called Chinandega, a few miles from the border with Honduras. We lived in the shadow of a volcano, and it erupted, sending lava down its cone, and blanketing the city with a thin layer of ash. It was rather acidic and burned your eyes, lungs, and skin.
[signature]
[Sad] That is almost the case here. The Air Quality Management District has the city on high alert or code red. That means that every breath you take has contamination for micro particles. Almost everyone is wearing some kind of light dust mask.
[signature]