Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chubby Chernobyl question
I recently got into tying flies and this is my next project. I have seen a few videos and read some stuff online but want to know what you fellow fly tiers think about the wing material.

Some people use poly yarn, others use stuff like widows web. What do you prefer? Benefits of poly or other material?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 4]Hi there fishing rookie and welcome to the tie one on group.lol.In my humble opinion not all fly wings look alike or reflect light in the same manner. eg I like using wheat straw for creating wings for a stone fly. They have the veins that look realistic and they color up well with a marker quite nicely. They sell wing material which works very well but I prefer to create something with the material that I have on hand.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I use what is visible and easy for me to see and use. The fish don't see it[Wink]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008058][size 3]How does one really know exactly what a fish can or cannot see? If they can't see an insect's wings, then why spend any effort looking for the right material to simulate a given insects wings? Or is it a matter of creating wings to give the fly balance.[/size][/#008058][/font]
[signature]
I am pretty sure they see silhouettes and shadows (which changes at different times of the day.
I also believe a lot of flies are tied with the FLY FISHER in mind.
Why do fish keep hitting a fly even when there is little left of the original.
Different material also cause a fly to ride differently in the water. Right down to the hook density. That is why they make nymph and dry hooks.
Color? Well, I am not sure anyone knows how fish see different colors, or if they go off what triggers fish.

Again, a fish cannot see the top of the fly, but it can see the shadow or silhouette, which just means, you can make the wings out of whatever works for you.
You seen the unibobbers? Made for a parachute. Doesn't look like any wing I have ever seen.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]I have to agree with the silhouette concept. Since many species of fish are predatory, they'll strike out at anything that might look like a meal. I've seen hatches where the water was covered by insects with white wings and a tiny black body. I was able to match the hatch and the battle was on. Basically it was a hook with wings. Then again I have found that what works today may not work tomorrow. Likewise I have wondered about the parachute concept. Never have seen an insect with a butch hair cut. lol [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]