Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly buying
hey guys just seeing what is the best place to by flies for the cheapest, ive been looking a little and found fish tech but it seems like its more expensive there than normal. tried some Walmarts but the 2 I called don't have flies, any ideas fellow fly flingers
[signature]
anglers den or fish tech all the way. they are pricey but you support a local buisness
[signature]
try out sportmans warehouse, they have a great selection and they are a tad cheaper than fishtech plus you get some kind of deal for every dozen you buy, plus everytme i go to fishtech i end up having someone trying to get me to buy something unneccessary to help me catch more fish.[crazy] i know some walmarts carry flies seperalty like the one on 106000 south i think on the west side of I15 so i would call em and check it out.
[signature]
Just my .02 cents but I have had bad experiences with walmart and sportsmanship flies....the hook tends to bend out when you get into a good fighting fish. I have lost a lot of fish to cheap hooks.

I would suggest paying a little more for a quality hand tied fly from someone who knows what they are doing and not just trying to bust out as many as they can in an hour.

I have noticed that flies I tie personally with quality materials last up to 10 fish more per fly
[signature]
The Walmart in Logan carries flies, but they look really cheap and are actually more expensive then most places. If I remember right they were 1.29 or 1.49 each.
[signature]
Orvis has some good sales on 12 fly deals.
I have bought flies from Sportsmans (the local one[Wink]) when I have clients and need a bunch. I also by a tube of Zap-A-Gap and put a dab on the head of each fly. Takes but a second and makes all the difference.
I can't bring myself to pay $2.00 for a fly, but I do tie[cool]
[signature]
Not sure where you're located.

But can confirm both Walmarts in Logan have flies, the S.end one even has a "fly shop". Can't speak to the quality/durability of the flies, I'm sure they're the best the Chinese factories can churn out quick as snot.

Nicer shops with likely more quality flies, plus lots of fly-tying equipment and supplies.

Roundrocks (Logan)
Custom sports (Hyde Park)

might check KSL classifieds to - see lots of folks parting with fly gear, and tackle.
I only buy the popular patterns at Sportsmans....such as Mosquitos, Zebra Midges, Bunnys, ect....

Fish Tech is great for the harder to find flies, like the Psychodellic Prince Nymph, the Nymphocator Tung, ect.....

I do buy certain patterns from Fish Tech that Sportsmans has due to the fact that the "quality" is better.

Western Rivers also has some special flies that work great too...but I rarely go there.

Walmarts do carry flies, 9151 Quarry Bend Road location has a limited selection....but the quality SUCKS!
[signature]
Al's Sporting Goods up here in Logan has flies for $.89 and it seems like they have a deal if you buy a certain amount. They're not too bad looking for the money.

It seems like the flies at Roundrocks weren't too bad either, though they have "premium" flies that are more money. I can't remember how much they charge though as I can't remember the last time I bought a fly.
[signature]
flystop.com i have had good luck with their flies actually and they a good deal for the prices that for sure! also i like blueflycafe.com.
[signature]
There's a guy on KSL that makes some good looking flies at least the ones he post pics of are. Now there are some guys on there that aren't so great so do your research.

Plus if you fish with what I am already tying for myself I might even sell a fly or two dozen.

I second the Wally and Sportsmans flies bashing. Some are great and worth the money some are not and unless you're good at going through flies one at a time I would not buy there.
[signature]
[quote cwoodson]flystop.com i have had good luck with their flies actually and they a good deal for the prices that for sure! also i like blueflycafe.com.[/quote]

There you go, that is a great answer.
[signature]
If I were you just buy them from fish tech they are one of the best quality flies i ever bought in my life. I have had cabelas and got my precious EHC they do good and fish tech they last long time for what ever fly just put floatant gel stuff and dang I float in my tube and troll for hrs and use the same one and last for ever.

Last week when i used a mosquito from fish tech trolling and catching tigers and bows and the fly always after a few dabs of floatant back to work. Fish tech is the way to go.

If your talking about the flies in walmart in south jordan that have 2 small cartons of flies on the desk the flies are poor quality they dont float as well as fishtech or cabelas. There cheaper but like everyone says some times its better to spend a little more then less.
[signature]
As a fly tier, I got to ask, an Elk Hair Caddis is dubbing, hackle and Elk Hair. I am not understanding why Fish Techs will float better than Walmart.
Now I understand thread used to tie breaking and in most cases that is the problem. As I said, a little glue on the head.
I sold flies for Orvis for 5 years. High quality flies for sure, but hackle breaks, Biot comes off and that happens on all flies including Fish Tech. Flies are delicate.
I am not saying Byron does not carry top notch flies, they do and they offer the new hot off the press selection. Plus it is fun going in the store.

Another question, how many flies do you loose on an outing? (this is not directed at you Fly Fishing Lover, just something to think about)
[signature]
to me walmarts they dont tye the hair on tight enough and they always goes to the waste after one trip to the uinta. The flies from fish tech and cabelas i got i still have them in my box ready to be use for many more trips. Its just how they make there flies in walmart are weak. The only time i buy stuff for fly fishing are zebra midges and prince nymphs but for any blue wing olives, EHC, BWO they are weak and mostly only last one trip in the water then done.

Plus fish tech they know there stuff I tell them I wanted to catch white bass on the provo river and i just want the best tail grub and bam they gave me what i needed and looky I never fished the lower provo river and got me 51 white bass and 2 nice blue gills on my trip. Ya that shop is tons of fun to go to. I love talking to mike i believe thats his name is when ever im in the shop.

Its funny other shops tell you get this this this and this this this and when i go to fish tech i just tell them give me the best thing out there now and give me what i really need thats 1 or 2 types of flies instead of like in cabelas heres 15 flies that you should buy and dont just get one get at least 3 each. [mad]. Im sticking with fish tech for now [angelic]
[signature]
I think you mean Mick. Tall, dark hair.
You are right, fly shops are full of people that fish so you do get hands on info.
But, if you know what you want and need, you can get them for less. As you mentioned, loosely wrapped. That is why I mentioned a tube of Zap A Gap ( one of the only waterproof super glues) for $4,00 will last at least a year. Just a dab on the cheap flies.
I buy a lot of flies for guiding and the majority get lost, not destroyed.
You stick with what works for sure.
I am just offering an alternative. Two flies for the price of one.[Wink]
[signature]
I think the better sly shops buy from Rainey in Logan. They dont sell to the public.
[signature]
fly
[signature]
[quote OldTroller]There's a guy on KSL that makes some good looking flies at least the ones he post pics of are. Now there are some guys on there that aren't so great so do your research.

Plus if you fish with what I am already tying for myself I might even sell a fly or two dozen.

I second the Wally and Sportsmans flies bashing. Some are great and worth the money some are not and unless you're good at going through flies one at a time I would not buy there.[/quote]
If you're referring to that Ken guy, stay away from him. He tries to sell you flies and next thing you know he's cleaning your carpets. So a dozen flies end up costing a couple hundred dollars.

At least you'll have clean carpet.
[signature]
Killer flies!!!! Rainy is a cool lady. FOAM!!
I use many of Rainy's flies. They are what catch carp[Wink] And yes Fish Tech carries them...even if they are a Sly Shop[cool]
[signature]