Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Uinta Lake Hike & Fishing Trip Advice?
So this weekend is my birthday and a few of my buddies and I want to head up into the Uintas and hike to lake to camp at and do some fishing, will be leaving saturday and returning monday. I havent hiked up there for a little while but would love some advice and directions from some of you that go there more often than me. Please let me know if you have any advice that could help!

Thanks
[signature]
I have hiked to lofty loop 2 weeks ago caught a few cutties. Its not a long hike. I had talked to a group last week that hiked from fehr lake trail to echo lake and they said they had a great time hiking and camping up there and eating some good fresh fish up there. Theres so many lakes to hike to ha ha ha and camp at so your not limited on where to go. [laugh]

Flies to buy: mosquitos, elk hair caddis, wolly buggers, ant, prince nymph, maybe a small grass hopper.

I mostly caught my fish this year was on wolly buggers. The fly hatch hasnt been so strong in the past 2 weeks ive been going. Plus its sorda getting colder so go figure ya the fly hatch is slowing down.

I have used 3-7 ft of line and attach a wolly and strip it fast and catch tigers mostly.
Ants put some floatant on it and 1-3 ft away put a indicate on it because its not easily watching a black ant if the fish took it or now.

Hope this info helped you and you catch some nice fish
[signature]
The Fish Lake area is a great area to go. The three main lakes are Round, Sand, and Fish. All of them have Grayling in them. Round has Cutts and Brookies also and Fish supposedly has some Brookies but I haven't caught any out of there in a couple years. I was just up in this basin two weekends ago and fishing was red hot for grayling. Grayling love dry flies. I was using a foam beetle but Elk Hair Caddis, Royal Wulf, Royal Coachman, Humpy, would work also. It's about 3 miles to Round lake which is the first lake. Sand is about 1/2 mile past round, and Fish is about 1/2 mile past Sand. There are nice camping spots at Round but those are also the most popular.
[signature]