Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is the water?
Have not had the chance to tube latley.[Sad]

Has anybody been out by Cherry Beach, Mothers Beach, or anyplace around Long Beach ?

Is the Red Tide gone?

Are the Halibut in close?
[signature]
[size 2] I was just going to ask about the red tide too. It seems the last time I went out like over a week ago there was red tide. Sucked.[/size]

[size 2] Plus I heard this ash is making water really dirty. Good luck if you go and if it's hitting let us know.[/size]

[size 2] I am new as you may notice.[Wink][/size]

[size 2]John[/size]
[signature]
[cool]Welcome aboard, releaseit. I used to live in SoCal, but I'm in Phoenix these days so I do not have any current info for you.

I suspect that the falling ash will have an affect on the water clarity and chemistry for a short while, but that will quickly dissipate. The currents and tides will clean it out in a hurry.

At least that will be the case in the ocean. Not so for the fresh water fisheries. Based on what I have seen over the years, there will be streams which suffer 100% fish kill. If it does not happen from the heated water and the inpouring of ash during the fire, the first rains will wash a shole lot of gunk and alkalinity into the streams and kill everything in the food chain. Many of the lakes will suffer too...especially if they receive runoff of ash laden water. That includes a lot of the municipal lakes that get flood control waters.

Seasonal changes and dropping temps should have the red tide pretty well gone by now. I haven't heard of it in any of the recent reports I have read.

The past Santa Ana winds made the fires worse. However, in times past, I have always done well fishing inshore along the beaches during the offshore wind conditions of the Santa Anas. They make the surf lay down and big halibut sometimes move in very close. I have had them jump up off the bottom in plain view to attack a small spinner or swimbait being fished for surf perch.

Depending on where you go, you can sometimes find bait balls of young 'chovies and sardines close to shore...with predators following for the feed. It can get exciting when a school of sublegal white sea bass wants to play. Of course, taking a couple of legal halibuts doesn't hurt either.

Anybody else got any reports? You might want to check in on the Baytubers site. They have a pretty active local board and you might be able to get some more uptodate info.

Again, welcome aboard. We look forward to your input and reports.
[signature]