Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another 50+ Fish Day
There is a little known public pond (it isn't a community pond) a short walk from my house that isn't ever stocked. I go down there almost every day of the week it is full of bluegill which I have come to hate fishing for. I have also caught bass, catfish and koi carp. I have had multiple days where I catch 50 or more fish in 2-3 hours. All were caught on the smallest tube jig I have (I hate bait in my opinion it takes no talent to fish with except for maybe catfish) Most of the Bluegill I catch are about the size of my hand I will post pictures once I get em off of my phone. Man I hate those bluegill there must be at least 1500 of those fish in that tiny pond.
[signature]
That is about the same take I have on using bait. I would rather fly or lure, with the only exception is in the spring in murky water and throwing a worm without a weight in the river and letting it float into the eddies naturally. Great day btw.
[signature]
Not a bad day at all... There is a small duck pond I like to take my kids and their friends to that has a butt load of channel cats. We go out there and catch 10-15 cats an hour just screwing around. But there is the same problem with the blue gill there too. They are fun to catch for a short while then they just start to become bait. I'll mix it up but prefer to use live baits for catfish.
[signature]
its always fun too get a few small gills but then it gets annoying unless there atleast 8 inchers, sounds like fun though. when you say bass aswell i assume Largmouths? i need to go hit my bass and gill pond here soon before its cools to much.
nice report.
[signature]
Sounds like a place we have here in Orem.

Those fish are fun to catch for a little while. At least the bass fight hard.

A couple of years ago, there were some pretty big bluegill in there.

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry you have such an awful time catching fish and seem to hate everything...[crazy]

(Fishing with bait can require a lot of skill, or at least technique. It sounds like you're assuming bait can only be lobbed out and waited for.)
[signature]
+1 bait can take some skill to to know how to present it and where, it can just be a little extra incentive for a fish to check out my jig or any lure, and heck sometimes that doesent work[frown]
[signature]
I actually love fishing they just don't fight and I still love going down there it's fun.
[signature]
Great first post. You just caught 50 mindless starving little bluegill and you are bagging on bait because it doesn't take talent????
[signature]
When I was a kid, all I needed were a few hooks, some weights and a small can of corn and I could catch bluegill all day long. Now it's illegal to use corn. Guess it kills the fish.. Didn't seem to do them any harm when I was a kid.. I caught hundreds and never saw one floating..

Oh well, any fish is better than no fish. If you really want to have fun, turn your drag way down so you can barely reel in when the fish is on. it prolongs the fight and is much more fun. I don't think you can kill a bluegill from tiring it out. Those things are like the decepticons in the Transformers movie...

Anyway, sounds like a fun day of fishing, even though you don't like bluegill..
[signature]
If your hands have any size at all I would like to go thin some of those buggers out! I wouldn't mind catching 'gills the size of my hands.
[signature]
I know a way to make you giggle, laugh, and have fun again: take an eight-year-old to catch those pesky little 'gills. Don't take a rod for yourself -- you'll be as busy as a kitten in a yarn factory helping the kidlet.

If you are extremely lucky, the kidlet (either gender) will want you to clean and cook a few of them. Reward yourself with precisely two fillets. (You may have to arm wrestle the kidlet for 'em if he/she gets the first taste!) Good.
[signature]