Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General fishing
What kind of fishing do you do the most?
1. Fresh water

2. Saltwater

If your answer is 1, do you prefer

1. Lakes

2. Streams

3. Rivers

4. Ponds

If your answer is 2, do you prefer

1. Dock or Piers

2. Bays or Marinas

3. Deep sea

4. Reefs and jettys
[signature]
[cool] FRESHWATER , AND ON LAKES , AND I LIKE BOTH WATER AND ICE FISHING THEM !!
[signature]
[cool]Hey, TubeKid, congrats on the new position. Let me reply to the question.

I dearly love all kinds of fishing. It would be hard to isolate one particular kind I like over another. In fact, it is sometimes difficult to know how to set up my gear and load my vehicle until it is time to leave. I have even had times when I have left home and then turned around and gone back to "retool" for some other kind of fishing at a different destination. Don't know whather that is old age or indecision. Do I have difficulty making decisions? Well, yes and no.

If pinned down on the subject, I would have to say my favorite fishing is float tubing along the remote beaches of the Sea Of Cortez. I can use light to medium freshwater tackle to catch hundreds of fish in a day...and can count more than twenty species in the mix on a typical trip. The average fish is about one to two pounds, but will outfight the average freshwater fish of the same size by at least two to one.

Since I can't make a trip to the salt every time I would like, I usually settle for fishing warmwater lakes...in pursuit of bass, crappies, yellow bass, sunfish and catfish. I use both baitcasting and spinning, but prefer to fish the lightest tackle I can get away with. I fish everything from topwater to deep spooning and jigging. Also been known to wave a "fairy wand" and fling some feathers.

I was born in Idaho and grew up fishing for trout in small streams. That type of fishing will always be in my blood, and I can still recapture my lost youth by walking a "trickle crick"...dropping a worm or salmon egg into the little pockets and extracting brightly colored wild trout that seldom reach 12 inches in their restrictive habitat.

Of course, I don't mind fishing larger creeks and rivers for big old wily browns either. And, I have spent many glorious days freezing in the winter rivers of the Pacific northwest for salmon and steelhead. A leaping steelie can thaw you out in a hurry.

In short, I love all kinds of fishing. My favorite is whatever offers the best shot at some action...whenever I can get away.
[signature]
I guess I should participate in this pole as well.

Fresh water, lakes and rivers. I have been known to do some saltwater as well. But mostly docks and piers.
[signature]
I prefer freshwater fishing. I like to fish the lakes mostly, but i also like to fish the little streams although there isnt much size to the fish in a stream they are sure fun to catch with a little bit of worm on a hook.
[signature]
i would prefer to be deep sea fishing.....but at present living in utah i'm lake fishing all the time
[signature]
[font "Verdana"][size 1][font "Arial"][size 2]Mostly I fish Freshwater in river, But I also fish often in Saltwater. I fish inshore mostly, but have been know to go out 30 or 40 miles in the ocean. I fish Dock or Piers, Bays or Marinas and Reefs and jetties too. I just like to be out on the water and trying to caught a fish.

[/size][/font]
[/size][/font]
[signature]

Hey there tubeN2,

How did I miss a chance to open my yap?! Well.... I'll make up for lost time.

#1 In the Winter it's freshwater
#1 and #4 Fish Lakes and Ponds most.

#2 Other than Winter, it's saltwater
Hummmmmm If I'm not on a near-shore or island boat (I kind of equate deep sea with blue water so...), than I'm fishing #1, #2, and #4.

JapanRon
[signature]
You've made this quiz too easy for me. [Tongue]

Since I don't live near any saltwater, I must choose:

1. Freshwater

And for the second question, I fish lakes and rivers. It's hard to find ponds and access to streams around here. Most of my fishing is from shore or piers.
[signature]
[cool] I am glad to see that there is such a variety of anglers accross the membership of this board. I will leave this thread open since we continue to have new members sign on almost everyday and it would be a good chance for all of us to get acquainted better.
[signature]
i,ll take freshwater and my streams. i love the mountain streams the best, nice small brookies runnin it. and i nice trip up the mountain. me and jake use to do it most every other nite, when he was with me. chasin squirells and havein a ball. take and have supper right there. haha later[Smile]
[signature]
1 and three, big fis there !
[signature]
Living in Colorado, it's freshwater, about 99% wading flowing water. I enjoy the challenge of fishing trickles, close to well-traveled paths, with two pound line and getting the occasional surprise of an 18 incher, but relish a five plus pounder hitting in the heavy, fast water of a big canyon river on light?? (eight pound test) tackle.
[signature]
what make of stick are you using ? st.crois , loomis ?
right now i use a jim grandt coustom but it feels a little stiff , gonna up-grade hopefully soon .
[signature]
As mentioned, nearly all my fishing is stream fishing for trout.

The rod I use depends on the type of water, size of water, and expected size of fish.

Ultralight (2# line): 5'6" Fenwick HMG GFS 55 or 7' G Loomis SR 841-2 depending on size of stream and amount of brush. I’ve recently acquired a 7' St. Croix Avid/AS70ULM2. Its softer and its action is not as fast as the G Loomis. It’s being used instead of the G Loomis when conditions, i.e., climbing up and around boulders, cause concern over damaging the more expensive Loomis. I've tried Bass Pro's 8'6" ML86ULS-2 Micro-Lite but found it too whippy for hardware. It may be good for bait – possibly similar to bait fishing with a fly rod like I used when first taught to stream fish. I’ve also inherited a ultralight 6'6" backup rod I built my Dad out of a Fenwick UL glass blank.

I actually use the ultralight for much of my fishing. Although I've lost a few fish, breaking off, I've landed quite a few up to 18" and 2+ lbs, in fair sized streams with the ultralight setup. The Loomis has more than enough backbone to handle the larger fish.

Light (4# line): Sometimes the previously mentioned 7' G Loomis SR 841-2 but usually a 6'6" Fenwick HMG GFS 64. The Fenwick is used on bigger streams/rivers where most of the expected fish are in the upper part of the 12 to 20 inch range. Backup: Old, old, 6' Shakespeare Professional Xtra-lite Wonderod.

Heavy (8# line): 7' Fenwick HMG GPLS 70. Backup: 6'6" Ugly Stick SPL 1100. I go to heavy when I fish big, fast, heavy water, Canyon rivers and the fish often are 5+ lbs. It was quite a battle this last October, but I landed a 6 lb. 4 oz. rainbow out of very fast, heavy water, with the Fenwick.
[signature]
I like the o'l 1-1 1-2 1-3 1-4 1-5 fishing.

1-5? fresh water seas [Tongue] deap water great lake
[signature]