Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flasher information wanted
I am thinking of moving up to a flasher from my Lowrance graph that I love for ice fishing.I have been looking at the Hummingbird 55 ice but have not seen it work. I have watched a Vexlar FL18 and like it. What about the graphs that have a flasher mode. I like the graph in case I missed something but they are slower to react and change the settings. What is the best one for the price. Mostly used for 40'or less but want the be able to go to 120'. Do not think I want a showdown.
[signature]
I've got a Lowrance m86c - it's color, has graph mode, and flasher mode. Also a GPS. Low end of the family. But I've really liked it. Has good zoom functions. There's another model but not the GPS.
I just got the Lowrance elite 5 with color and gps but have no ice to try it on yet.
[signature]
Out of all ones I've seen in action, I liked the Lowrance X67c Ice Machine the best. It has a view mode that is radial, just like a traditional flasher, or a vertical view more like a showdown, and has a vertical view with a history, all in color. I believe the X67c is an out dated model, but you can still find them online and at a decent price. I think the replacement would be either the Elite4 or Elite5, but I'm not sure. I'm kind of anxious to see Michael's Elite5 in action. I'm thinking I will like it as much or more than the X67c.

I own the showdown (low end one) and I find no fault with the function of it. It works well. I do wish it were color, but beyond that it works great. However, if I was doing it again, I'd put that money towards a little nicer unit. I definitely prefer the vertical view over the rotary style, but I could fish just fine with either.

There is no way I'd go with the old fashioned (mechanical) rotary style after seeing the new ones with the LCD's. Just my 2 cents.
[signature]
I just bought a Vexilar fl20 two weeks ago and took it out to Henry's for it's maiden voyage. Kicked it into low power mode for shallow fishing and it is absolutely amazing seeing your jig go down and then seeing the marks come off the bottom and being able to react your jigging to how the fish responds. Because the ice was so thin I only fished in one hole and in two hours of jigging I brought a dozen fish off the bottom and landed ten of them. I'm telling you, it's almost like cheating getting the heads up that this unit gives you and it a blast to watch almost like a video game. Looking forward to using all the other modes, I spent the last year studying Vex's before I purchased and after just one experience am hooked.
[signature]
[Smile]All of my friends, they all use Vexilar. Some went and tried others , but they came back to the Vex. Not saying the others don't work , just that it works for us on how we fish in Minnesota.

[signature]
I still use my 30 year old bottom line fish finder. I did pick up a new fish finder last winter, it fits in my coat pocket.[:p]

both have flasher options, but to be honest, the bottom line flasher option is just to dam slow, to put it though simply, I can lift my jig and set it back down and take a sip of my coffee before you ever see it register.[laugh]

My new one is much faster on the flasher, but the truth is, once I find my fish, I put the thing away. It is handy for finding larger fish and schools of fish. That is all I need to know.

I do have the fish tv, but I havent gotten that board yet where I need to see my bite but it is fun to look and see just what is down there.
[signature]
I looked carefully at all the flashers and decided to get the Showdown. It is a great unit ... has 1/2" target seperation and dual cones. I put two holes about 3' apart and can watch the fish and jig depth on both rods (about 15' water or deeper).

Its really fun to watch the fish come to the lure and then rise to the bite. Both, bottom perch and suspended trout can seen this way. Its great to use the zoom to home in on a particular section of the water column for greater detail.

I love mine esp because of the vertical scale vs the circular ... seems more natural. Also, it uses little power and the battery is good for several outings before needing recharged. Wouldn't give up the Showdown for nuthin ... Trueblue2
[signature]