Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berkley Conservation Institute Supports TRCP Campaign to Stop Alaskas Pebble Mine
COLUMBIA, S.C. - Berkley Conservation Institute (BCI) is proud to announce its support of the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership (TRCP) and its campaign to stop Alaska's Pebble Mine.

"This is one of the biggest threats to the last frontier as we know it," said Jim Martin, Director of BCI. "All anglers should be on the edge of their seats about the Pebble Mine. To be honest they should be standing by now because this giant open pit mine would be 20 times larger than all other mines in Alaska combined. I can't express the detriment that this would have on such a beautiful natural resource like the Bristol Bay."

Pebble would be the largest open pit mine in North America. It would create up to 10.8 billion tons of waste containing heavy metal toxins known to destroy salmon spawning and rearing habitat. This toxic waste would require perpetual storage in an area prone to volcanic and seismic activity.

"BCI is pleading to all outdoorsmen and fishermen to stand up for the conservation and preservation of a national treasure," said Martin. "We are not only talking about destroying natural habitat but putting one of the largest toxic mine waste at the headwaters of Bristol Bay region in Alaska. It is time to act."

Southwest Alaska's remarkable web of abundant wildlife, including salmon, bears, moose, wolves and migratory waterfowl is in serious jeopardy in one of the nations foremost sporting destinations. America's sportsmen and women deserve the chance to hunt and fish there for generations to come.

It is easy to voice your support to halt Pebble Mine. Visit this link to lend your support for future outdoorsmen.

BCI is a division Pure Fishing, a leading global provider of quality fishing tackle with headquarters in Columbia, S.C. BCI was developed to support conservation practices and angler recruitment efforts and cooperates with fishing groups, conservation organizations, customers and other industry partners to protect our fishable waters. The Institute also collaborates to enhance populations of important sport fish and introduce the next generation to the delight of angling while teaching them to lead the fight for conservation.

###

About Pure Fishing, Inc.

Pure Fishing, Inc. is a leading global provider of fishing tackle, lures, rods and reels with a portfolio of brands that includes Abu Garcia®, All Star®, Berkley®, Fenwick®, Gulp!®, Mitchell®, Penn®, Pflueger®, Sebile®, JRC®, Shakespeare®, SpiderWire®, Stren®, Trilene® and Ugly Stik®. With operations in 21 countries and a dedicated workforce conversant in 30 languages, Pure Fishing, Inc. is part of Jarden Outdoor Solutions, a leader in developing outdoor and active lifestyle products and a subsidiary of Jarden Corporation. Additional information can be found at www.purefishing.com.

About Jarden Corporation<br />
Jarden Corporation is a leading provider of a diverse range of consumer products with a portfolio of over 100 trusted, quality brands sold globally. Jarden operates in three primary business segments through a number of well recognized brands, including: Outdoor Solutions: Abu Garcia®, Aero®, Berkley®, Campingaz® and Coleman®, ExOfficio®, Fenwick®, Gulp!®, Invicta®, K2®, Marker®, Marmot®, Mitchell®, Penn®, Rawlings®, Shakespeare®, Stearns®, Stren®, Trilene®, Völkl® and Zoot®; Consumer Solutions: Bionaire®, Breville®, Crock-Pot®, FoodSaver®, Health o meter®, Holmes®, Mr. Coffee®, Oster®, Patton®, Rival®, Seal-a-Meal®, Sunbeam®, VillaWare® and White Mountain®; and Branded Consumables: Ball®, Bee®, Bernardin®, Bicycle®, Billy Boy®, Crawford®, Diamond®, Dicon®, Fiona®, First Alert®, First Essentials®, Hoyle®, Kerr®, Lehigh®, Lillo®, Loew Cornell®, Mapa®, NUK®, Pine Mountain®, Quickie®, Spontex® and Tigex®. Headquartered in Rye, N.Y., Jarden ranks #371 on the Fortune 500 and has over 23,000 employees worldwide. For in-depth information about Jarden, please visit www.jarden.com.