Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport 1/10/13
Hit rockport at 9am. went out past the gatherings that seemed to hug more to the shoreline than anything, went about 200 yards out toward middle of lake. water depth 25-30 feet. dropped the camera down and saw some little striped buggers so I started going to work on them. had quite a few "taste" my offerings but no one bold enough to eat them. my advise, go small and go slooow. they didnt like the jigging, they didnt like the dead stick.... they liked when i pounded the bottom and slightly quivered the bait at dead stick position about 3 inches off bottom, got them interested, but not hungry. i blame the storm. LOL.

nailed one trout, stupid trout, on the retrieve to rebait a worm that had turned white from cold.

I parked at the 3rd pullout from the dam, counting the dam parking. 3 bucks is current rate. or the park pass.

left the lake at 3pm when the snow started to build up, about 2 inches, ice was at least 8 inches and solid clear. hardly any snow on top at arrival, was like walking on a mirror, the walk back was a bit harder as the snow had not stuck to the ice yet and it was slick!!

till next time, tight lines.
[signature]
Nice report, planning a trip there Sunday. Hopefully the little striped buggars will be a bit more hungry and cooperative post-storm......
[signature]
I hope they get more willing also, I had to come home and eat a frozen Tilapia fillet. not my favorite fish, but fun... NO I didnt catch it, my wife got them at wally martys world of weird.

Have you ever seen a "soup" on the bottom, it was like thick milky water about 2 inches on bottom. my jug would disappear in it. it wasnt moss or anything but my cam would see about 4 inches in it so I had to raise up off bottom to see lure. anyone know what this stuff is.... it seemed like thick water.
[signature]
If I get skunked fishing, I'm always game for fish sticks with tater tots. That's a Redneck delicacy and I satisfy my hankerin' for tasting fish. [laugh]
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]The "soup" was likely a dense cloud of zooplankton. You can see this phenomenon over fertile bottom areas in several lakes. Since perch and trout simply have to open their mouths and slurp to get dinner it is no wonder they are not more receptive of the wacky stuff anglers send them.

Those who fish Pineview at night have noticed layers of zooplankton forming above the bottom about the same time each night. And that is often followed by numbers of big crappies moving through at the same depth. A good sonar and a knowledge of what is happenin' down below can help put fish on the deck...or send you home frustrated if you can't get the fish to yawn in front of your lures. Really bad when all you get is the middle fin on your sonar screen.
[/#0000FF]

[signature]
forget sonar dude! I saw them giving me center radial fin ribs on my camera! that zooplankton makes sense. first time I have seen it. I will look for clearer bottom next time. thanks man.
www.www.
[signature]
I went up on 1/11 and walked out from the boat ramp about 100 yrds. I fished in 30 ft water. Saw nothing on the bottom but caught 4 slimers from 5-10ft down on glow wattacrickets and nightcrawlers. Fished from 10-2:30 then left as the W... picked up. Headed to Scofield tomorrow.
[signature]