Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
atv access at the berry?
Anyone been up to the Berry recently? I'm going weds and wondering if the snow is too deep for a ATV. Hoping to run into good fishing this time. seems like all the Berry trips lately have been kinda slow fishing. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a honey hole. [Smile]
[signature]
We fished it Friday and took a Razor out on the ice, the slush monster is out in alot of spots but you should be okay some spots had 1 foot of snow mix. Fishing was awesome for us after we found them.
[signature]
went out on Saturday. At strawberry bay you will run into slush. If you go straight out from strawberry bay you will hit slush every fifteen yard or so. Not alot of slush after that. Good fishing, got out at three pm left at seven thirty pm, caught fifteen fish between three people. Fish in twenty five feet of water, drop your line down to thirteen feet, then around four forty five pm drop you line down to the bottom or twenty feet of water. I got two rainbows, and two cutts, my brother caught three cutt bows(mix of cutthroat and rainbow), my dad caught the rest with one cuttbow and the rest were cutts.
[signature]
Fished Sunday, I saw a few atv's on the ice. Generally tough going for the machines once they got off snowmobile tracks. There is a fair amount of slush on the ice. Lots of spots had a layer of crust over the slush, could not see slush until you broke through the frozen crust. Slush was 4"-8" deep. If you try to stay on sled tracks you can see where they have broke into the slush and be ready for it. Also if the sleds have broke through a day or two prior the slush has re-froze, atv's went across those spots with ease. I left my atv at home i was afraid of spending more time digging out than fishing. Good luck!
[signature]
Well I took everyone's advice and left the big tank on wheels at home. Ended up just fishing chicken creek. Fishing was awesome. Landed a lot of cuts in the slot range. Landed two that were over the slot. Biggest was 23". The big ones both got put back Cause I already had a nice fat 17" bow and 4 13-15" cuts. I only took what I could eat fresh. Fishing was pretty consistent throughout the day. Great day at the Berry!
[signature]
Would the conditions been good enough for a wheeler?
[signature]
I would leave the Wheeler at home. There are a lot of slush pockets. The spot we fished had 2" frozen slush on top of 4" of slush and then ice. I could see spots when we were walking out that you can tell sleds and wheelers had got stuck. Today was 36 degrees. It's fine to drive out in the morning But the end of the day might get interesting. There were plenty of hard packed trails left from sleds But going off trails where the trouble could start.
Getting a sled stuck in the slush is bad enough, But getting a heavy Wheeler stuck really sucks. Good luck.
[signature]