Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Like my flys?
What do u guys think of my flys? I just got into fly tying I am 14 and my grandpa got me some fly tying stuff!! I plan on fishing the lower provo this upcoming summer and spring do u think the scuds I tied are good?
[signature]

[signature]
Your scuds look fine. Looks like you're well on your way. Mine didn't look so hot when I was 14!

To improve more, try using some shorter hackle on your dry flies and they'll fish better. I like hackles to be just longer than the hook gap, and often I even cut the hackle to 1/2 the length of the hook gap before I fish them. You might also "spice up" your black ant with just a few wraps of hackle right in the middle of the two segments you made. You could use brown, grizzly, or black for a leggy effect.

Keep tying, you'll only get better and more creative, and your fishing will get better right along with it.
[signature]
Thanks I was going to put hackle on my ant but I don't have black hackle all I have is brown HACKLE CAN COST SOME MONEY!
[signature]
Brown hackle is fine too. Trout aren't as concerned about actual colors as some think. "Light" and "dark" are the main color concerns. Bugs they eat vary widely in color. Don't be afraid to experiment with patterns and deviate from specific "recipes." That's part of the fun!
[signature]
Plus the hackle will make the ANT float better. Great ties. Those Scuds are great!

Sometimes it's okay to use longer hackle. However it goes from being a dry to a wet fly (softhackle) Fish it like a nymph and be spars with the hackle wraps. Like maybe one time around.
Olive thread, Gray, Black or Orange thread body, peacock thorax and a softhackle collar....great fly! Easy Tie.
[signature]
What about this
[signature]
Ok there we go
[signature]
Those should work.

Classic wet fly method is almost a lost art these days - and because they've never seen it, trout slam wets.

Stand near one bank and cast down and across stream. Let the fly swing in the current (you can give tiny tugs to impart some action, if you choose) and allow it to come to a halt in the current directly below you. Pulse the line a time or two as the fly hangs in the current - and hang on. Strikes can be almost violent.
[signature]
I need ideas for flys all I have is dubbing hackle ideas?!
[signature]
Here are two of my favorites that will work anywhere, and nearly any time. I even use these on the toughest of so-called "educated" fish on tail waters and spring creeks. The Buzz Ball is simply two or three different hackles wound (palmered style) around the shank of the hook. No tail, no wing, no nothing but hackle. Works for me in sizes 16 and 18. When finished, trim the hackle on the top and bottom, leaving just the fibers sticking out the sides. You can also just trim the bottom for a bigger silhouette.

The Triple Double is another favorite. Its basically a dubbed body Renegade with an extra hackle in the middle. Its body is dubbed like your ant. Wrap a back hackle, dub back body, wrap middle hackle, dub front body, wrap front hackle--Done! Be sure to leave youself enough room on the hook and at the head. Sparse dubbing, and only a few wraps of hackle at each spot.

There are others too. Griffiths gnat. Compara Duns with hackle tail, dubbed body, and wrapped hackle wing (trimmed short on the bottom again. Some searching on fly pattern data bases can show you many. You can also use stripped hackle quills for mayfly bodies, they work great!
[signature]
This is like Tarpons first fly. All hackle (different colors) wrap the hook then trim. Thread at the eye with Pheasant Tail legs. This is a cased caddis so you do need to weight this fly so it floats on the bottom.
[Image: IMG_2767.jpg]

Do not forget Chironomids. Simply thread and a bead, but deadly.
[signature]
Thanks u guys I will Ty some up! And mabe put the pic of them when I am done!
[signature]
Here is a really easy one I found tonight and tied a few of, it only consits of a rubber band, dubbing, and biots, dont know how well it works but looks killer. The picture I have isnt the greatest but you can see it better in the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-HBKIzqcyQ
[signature]
I wonder the life of that fly. I always find rubber bands rotting specially in the warm summer.
[signature]
Its says that in the video, it also says to coat it with hard as nails so we will fing out, Ill let you know,, but they look pretty cool [cool]
[signature]
Kewl!
I went to Sportsmans and bought a spool of small red V rid. I had some #12 Swim hooks.

[Image: d4b2ff29-ae3a-4e4c-9bc5-a29ed127ae0e_zps08c8555c.jpg]
[signature]
nice lookin fly there FG. i gotta get back into tying, i have all the equipment just need the time.
[signature]
Lovebass, just look on youtube and see tons of flies and get good ideas. Your flies look pretty good. And make a point of attending the Wasatch Fly Tying show next month or so, not sure of the date.
[signature]
It is the end of March. I will be there:

http://www.wasatchexpo.com/
[signature]