Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blacksmith Fork 2-12
I took a friend who is visiting from Texas up to the river today to see if I could put him onto some fish. We ended up fishing for a few hours and caught a mountain whitefish, cutthroat, and brown trout on scud and (white) caddis nymph patterns.

It was really nice to get out. We just moved up to cache, and I have been so busy with school and work that i have really only been able to do some scouting without my rod.
[signature]
Awesome! How was the river... ice free? I have been wanting to get up to the cache and fish the logan and blacksmith! I have heard they are beautiful rivers, the exception being the snakes on the the blacksmith... yikes!
[signature]
The sections we fished weren't iced over. Yesterday was sunny and around mid 20s, but unfortunately it was a bit colder today and overcast. My friend is from south Texas so he probably felt like we were fishing the north pole.
I am really excited to start fishing the logan. The entrance to the canyon is only about three minutes from where I park for school.
[signature]
Lucky dog!!! I have heard the 3 miles below red banks campground is good for cutties! Good luck to ya... and we better hear some reports!!
[signature]
Nice to hear you got into some. I've been too busy to get out since the end of November, but I'm hoping to get out soon. That's good to hear the river is ice free, I may head up there soon.

I think the snakes up there are grossly exaggerated. I've spent many days up there and have never seen one.

As for the Logan, that stretch is definitely good for the cutties. There are some stretches down lower that have good ones too. Look for faster pocket water for them. They're all over that canyon.
[signature]