Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot of the Vise!
I was hoping my title would be very inviting. Even if you are disappointed to hear this next part.... These are my first flies ever off the vise.

I have wanted to get into fly fishing for a while and my Great grandpa just gave me his Vise and supplies. So thanks to him I can start tying.

I was hoping to get some feedback and some suggestions.

1. What flies should I look into tying? Which would you start out on?

2. Where is the best place to get supplies ( Since I am beginning i don't need highest quality but i am open for all answers and advice

First Fly was an Adams. Seemed pretty easy so i just tried it.
[Image: auv4wp.jpg]

Second fly was a Caddis
[Image: 312jl10.jpg]

3rd fly was a little BWO emerging patter.
[Image: nbd8gj.jpg]

I also tied a few Parachute BWO's but they look about the same as the adams since i didnt have any good blue material for wings/hackle.

Let me know what you think! I look forward to getting better.
[signature]
Those don't look like first time [Wink]very nice!
[signature]
Better than my dry flies, and I have played at tying for a few years off and on.

One thing that I find helpful is to treat them and then drop them in a bowl of water to see how they land and sit on the water.

The hackle on your caddis may be a little long. The fish probably won't care, but it might affect how it sits on the water. If it does just take your scissors and trim the bottom a little.

All of them look very fishy. We are always more critical of our tying that the fish are, so now go ask the fish!
[signature]
Great looking dries. In answer to your question about suggestions for what to start with that is a very open ended question. It depends on you and what you want to fish for and wiht. When I started tying 19 yrs ago I started out wiht wooly buggers and chamois caddis and worked up from there. I get alot of my materials from anglers den, fish tech, round rocks, sportsmans warehouse and online on sites such as ebay and docsflybox.com. The guy that runs docs fly box is out of nevada and I purchase alot of silli legs and acetate floss from him and it's not un common for me to spend $60+ on an order and have 15-20 items in that order his prices are very reasonable and he has great products and is fast to ship as well. Hope this helps
[signature]
Thanks. With the help of Youtube and other tutorials makes 1st flies look much better.
[signature]
cpierce, Thanks for that advice. I will throw them on the water and see how they land. I never thought about that. Definitely a good method to improve. Thanks a bunch.
[signature]
Thanks. I will keep those places in mind. I have been to fish tech but not the others yet.
[signature]