Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which rod would you buy in a 5wt?
I already have a TFO Finesse Series I love for throwing dries, but when it comes to nymphing and throwing buggers it does not perform. The weight of the heavier rigs makes it feel like I am baitcasting.

Which rod would you prefer for overall fishability and quality?
[signature]
Best rod you will find for the price... I would have paid double for this rod. I have the 4 weight and fish weighted nymph rigs and it performs flawlessly. But hurry this seal only last to the end of the week. http://www.allenflyfishing.com/compass-r...ry-bundle/
[signature]
All depends on how much you want to spend.
[signature]
In the TFO price range I would agree Allen. and with your like in the Finesse, the AST. There is also Grey's. You get up in the $300. to $400. there are many. And there I say go cast them, you will know then what you want.
[signature]
If you like your finesse series I would check out the new clouser series which is geared toward weighted flys and such or the bvk which is great for distance and presentation. I am partial to TFO because I feel you get a great value.
[signature]
I got a Redington CPX 9ft 6wt for sale, 200 bucks casts dries like a dream yet still has enough backbone to nymph and toss big old streamers. Oh and its Brand new never been fished
[signature]
I also have an Allen compass in a 4wt and I love it. But for nymphing or windy conditions I have a 5wt Echo carbon that is awesome and its under $200.
[signature]
cant limit yourself to two rods only. the orvis H2, Helios are both awesome, so is the Sage One Elite and the Winston BIIIX, dont forget any rod in the Allen series, and Reddington and TFO make awesome rods as well. Go cast one before you think about purchasing
[signature]
No Zenith-Sintrix? I would like to add, Allens Fly Fishing Icon line is made right here. You can check it out at Four Seasons in Heber.
[signature]
I got to agree with Satanlbz801 just depends on how much your looking to spend.

Sage Just came out with a Circa Rod thats been winning all kinds of awards & there One Rod is the Caddilic of Fly rods.

As Koch Mentioned the Ovis Helios is one bad ass rod

I havent fished the New G-loomis NRX pro-1 Rod but it won Icast 2012

And you cant forget the Winston Boron rods Hands down some of the best rods on the market.

But they all range in the 700.00 + range if thats your budget you cant go wrong with any of those rods.

If your looking to spend less in the so called "Middle Range"

Id recommend

Allen Compass or XA model ( im looking to pick a XA model myself )

Redington Torrent, Voyant, or CPS ( and not just cause im selling one )

Scott A-4

Cabelas MT-x rod ( its a Co-Op rod built with G-loomis )
[signature]
[quote sinergy]I got to agree with Satanlbz801 just depends on how much your looking to spend.

Sage Just came out with a Circa Rod thats been winning all kinds of awards & there One Rod is the Caddilic of Fly rods.

As Koch Mentioned the Ovis Helios is one bad ass rod

I havent fished the New G-loomis NRX pro-1 Rod but it won Icast 2012

And you cant forget the Winston Boron rods Hands down some of the best rods on the market.

But they all range in the 700.00 + range if thats your budget you cant go wrong with any of those rods.

If your looking to spend less in the so called "Middle Range"

Id recommend

Allen Compass or XA model ( im looking to pick a XA model myself )

Redington Torrent, Voyant, or CPS ( and not just cause im selling one )

Scott A-4

Cabelas MT-x rod ( its a Co-Op rod built with G-loomis )[/quote]

I call all the Compass, Xa, ALL the Redington plus St Croix, TFO, Winston Passport entry level rods meaning the sale for under $250.

Mid Range will be the MT Winston VSL, GVX, Sage Response, Approach, St Croix-Bank Robber, Elite, GLoomis, East Fork & Pro 4x, plus Orvis Clearwater and Access, Rods in the $250. to $500.

And personally, I prefer the H2 andthe Circa over any of the others I have used, but that is my preference. Try before you shell out, and screw the ego and go with what feels good.
[signature]
Got to disagree with you there price wise yeah if you base performance on price then ok yeah. As far as performance goes No.

Take the Sage approach on the Sage site it says entry level rod and runs almost 400 the Redington Torrent a better rod than the Approach runs 250.

54 million Higher modulus blank with premium Toray Graphite and PacBay chrome snake guides + PacBay Hialoy ring

Sage Approach just list " High modulus " which who know what that could be and no brand name guides just chrome
[signature]
I meant entry level PRICE not function, but I knew that would not come out that way.
I was going with entry, then Mid, then high end prices
[signature]
Oh I see yeah If you put it that way yeah you got a point I guess didnt put performance vs price on my post either.

Oh and Id go with the Passport over the Approach but that's just my casting style
[signature]
Does anyone have an opinion on the rods a referenced?

I appreciate everyone telling me to buy the best but I made a poll and asked for opinions based on the rods I was choosing between.
[signature]
[quote FishingRookie]Does anyone have an opinion on the rods a referenced?

I appreciate everyone telling me to buy the best but I made a poll and asked for opinions based on the rods I was choosing between.[/quote] you mentioned you had a tfo already but that's it... Did we miss something?
[signature]
If its any help I think the Approach replaced the Sage Vantage. The Approach is suppose to be lighter and stronger but looks Identical to the Vantage so ...

Any how Ive never casted the Approach so that's why I don't have a opinion on it but I have casted the the Vantage and it a pretty sweet rod. My buddy has a the Passport
and it to is a sweet rod.

Winston / Sage Either way you cant go wrong

On a side note if you do some searching around you might be able to find a Z-Axis for around the same price as the Approach and IMHO the Z-Axis is a much better rod than the approach
[signature]
I have the winston passport 8'6" 4 wt and love that rod. Fast action and light. It would be a great 5 wt rod for nymphing and smaller streamers. it is my go to dry and nymphing rod.
[signature]
Ya Winston. I know the Axis is a sought after rod, but in the casting contest, I kicked bumb using the BIIx. I didn't care for the Axis. Then I went with money in hand to buy the ZXL, and made the mistake of picking up the Joan Wulff Favorite ...needles to say, I own a JWF.
The Sage is USA made and that Winston not if that helps[Smile]
[signature]
Sage Flight 5 wt, 180 bucks at mrfc, i see some winstons on there as well, BII and GVX on clearance
[signature]