Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest Fish on Fly Rod
I went to the Weber last Friday with a friend to teach him the basics of fly fishing. Well it was just about to be dark so i said we had 10 more casts. my 4th cast after that i got snagged, so i looked over to casey to tell him we were done when the snag took off...lol. I have never really caught what I would call big fish. so i was thinking this was a decent fish. the fish would not move out of deep water it took about 5 minutes to get him close to me when he jumped out and I saw a FAT fish. Told my friend to run to the truck and grab the net because I realized I did not grab it. My friend didnt have waders or boots but decided he would come in the water to help me land this fish(Thats when you know you have a GREAT friend) after running down the river with this fish we finally landed it on a 5wt rod with 5x tippet. only took 18 minutes (im still a rookie)[Smile]
[signature]
Nice fish man! All of these weber reports are awesome! Any hatches coming off?

Prepare to be chastised by some of the "veterans" on here for not getting that fish in faster.
[signature]
Those one nice brownie [angelic]. I might have to sneak over there some day.
[signature]
[quote CarlF] Any hatches coming off?[/quote]

yes, midges, a stoney here and there, BWo's here and there and if the conditions are perfect you might see a spring caddis
[signature]
Thanks! Thats fine if the "veterans" want to lay into me about not getting him in fast enough. I have one person teaching me and if he didnt say anything to me about it im good [:p]
[signature]
No one was there, and it is cold enough, I think you "played" it just right. My question, how does a "rookie" teach some one else?[cool] What if you learned wrong[crazy]
Just jivin' with the fish and the forth cast, you are doing just fine.
[signature]
Well you see my teacher goes with the "just wing it" fishing style. i know the basics so i can teach the VERY basics [:p]
[signature]
Sweet brown! What did you get him on?
[signature]
[quote GreenHorn]Well you see my teacher goes with the "just wing it" fishing style.[/quote]

70% of the time, it works everytime
[signature]
Thanks! Got him on a Orvis Lighting Bug.
[signature]
ive got some 20+ inch trout on my 3 wt launch and a personal best 26 inch whitefish aswell, takes some practice to get down how to fight the fish right but once you do its alot of fun, just hold on![cool]
[signature]
[quote Jazzperch1]26 inch whitefish[/quote]

WOW!!! thats a tank whittey . you should have put in for the state record since you smashed it by 5 inches
[signature]
Ya I have never seen one that big. Got a pic of it?
[signature]
[quote kochanut][quote GreenHorn]Well you see my teacher goes with the "just wing it" fishing style.[/quote]

70% of the time, it works everytime[/quote]

you sound like my 'ol soccer coach:
"OK - half of you over THERE, the other half over THERE, and the rest come with ME!"

GH- don't sweat it. That's a phat fish, cold moving water, bet it was a fun fight. Gotta love it when a "snag" starts moving! Been some of my favorite catches (ok, many were carp, but . . . still)

I just fear I'll prove to myself what a quality fly-reel is when I hook up a big one (more like prove to myself my fly-reels are NOT quality!).
Catfish, Carp, or Musky - we'll see.

Nice to have a friendly netter-handy!
By snag I dont mean i foul hooked him[laugh]. He chomped that fly!
[signature]
only 2 inches bigger than the c and r, we get em all the time that big on the weeb.
[signature]
Nice fish, good job.
[signature]
Thanks!
[signature]
didn't mean to imply any "foul" play. So much as times I've THOUGHT I had hooked a log or rock, but then found it to move, and game was on!

Been Bass, Carp, Muskie - Cats too... course I've had fish wrap up behind a log or rock after being hooked. One tip was to "let 'em go" - and then they swim out from behind.

Have only "met" small fish on my fly setup so far. I'm excited to see if I can up the ante this year. Your fish inspires! I gotta get out on the river more. There's been some big browns jumping after something. Runoff is picking up.
Yeah the water was getting murky where I fish the Weber. Fighting a big fish on a fly rod is WAY better than on a normal set up. Especially after you have lost a few good fish from line breaks and such and inexperience. like I said before im a rookie [fishin]
[signature]