Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2013 Spring Turkey Contest
Alright! We've got ourselves a CONTEST! Here are the guidelines:
[ol][li]Individual Contest - no teams[/li][li]Contest period: April 8th - May 31st[/li][li]Scoring: We will be using the NWTF Turkey Score Calculator, it's identical to the one used by the Drury Brothers on the King of the Spring Contest. This link will take you to the scoring worksheet - [url "http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/turkey_score.html"]http://www.nwtf.org/...ys/turkey_score.html[/url][/li][li]All submissions need to have the following photos:[/li]
[ul][li]Picture of your completed NWTF Score Sheet
[/li][li]Picture of you holding your bird on the scale (including distant view of weight indicator) and a sign showing the date
[/li][li]Close up picture of weight indicator[/li][li]Close up picture of spurs with ruler beside them
[/li][li]Close up picture of beard with ruler beside it
[/li][/ul][li]In the event of a two bird harvest - pick your biggest tom! Only 1 submission each.[/li][/ol]

Here is a list of the participants that I have received:

hooknhunter
chrome junky
trophyboat
PACKFAN
Mrs. PACKFAN
wilcam47
TheGrovBone
fish-o-holic

If anyone else would like in - PM me and I'll get you added to the list! I say it's never too late so long as you message me before the end of the contest period!

Now for the surprise: For the winner I'll be donating a turkey fan mounting kit! Let's get out there and have a killer (pun intended) turkey season! GAME ON!
[signature]
Looking forward to the season, my hunt starts this Sat. thru the 25th. Wife's doesn't open until May 1st. Once again good luck to everyone and have a safe successfull hunt.
[signature]
I haven't fired a shot yet. I saw several toms the evening before the opener where we had permission to hunt, but also saw another hunter walking along the brushline calling and I knew he didn't have permission to hunt the ground. I got in and set up just at day break, shortly after I started hearing some gobbles. I started calling and they headed my way, then I heard another hunter start calling and that must have been too much as they turned and headed away from us. We went back and set up that evening in my Primos blind in the high winds and some rain, no luck.Yesterday morning clear and cold still no turkey sounds. Called it quits at 10 or so and headed back to camp, packed up and headed home until Friday when I can head back down for another try. We didn't see much sign of turkeys in the area we have been hunting for the past few years, very few tracks and just a few gobbles the first morning, I know there are at least two toms there someplace, just need to have it all come together. I left my rig down there where I was hunting until next weekend, my friend who is a police officer there sent me a picture of it this morning with more snow on the way. [:/]
[signature]
Well me and my buddy got a double thursday. They were not coming in our field and headed up the mountain. I started some aggressive calling and they ran down the mountain, flew across the creek and was 28 yards and we pulled the trigger at the same time. it was a great hunt.

It was a jake and i did not do measurements. I forgot everything i needed back home. It does not count but here is what i think i had. Mine was a Merriam
17lb bird
1/8 spurs both
3.5 in beard

my buddys was about. His looked like an Eastern
19lb bird
1/4 spurs
3 inch beard

I was just showing that i got a bird. I have my second tag and will bring all the things i need for my next bird. thanks for looking.

Harry
[signature]
I'm out. i went 5 days in a row last week and could not seal the deal. had a few days with toms gobbling at me and even called in a few hens but never even got close to sticking a tom. sorry boys i just have a hard time convincing myself to spend a slug of gas money on a bird. maybe next year.
[signature]
You live an hour away from turkey central. Why would you need to spend a slug of gas money? If you had a slug of gas money to spend, where would you go?

There a lot more turkeys up in your neck of the woods than anywhere I know, although I free admit that they seem harder to kill up there. The birds in your area seem very smart (at least to me). For being a "dumb bird", they are awfully hard to get in killing range.

There are not a lot of birds down here in our neck of the woods these days, but when I do find one, they seem reasonably cooperative.

Wish I could find one this year. Perhaps its my own fault as I've only been out one day. Thinking I might try again on Thursday this week.
[signature]
Hook if i may ask what area are u hunting? Open or draw?
[signature]
Generally, I hunt in SW Idaho, I prefer to not get more specific than that. I have hunted Kookia, Orofino, Kamiah area many times, but how found that the birds up there are very call shy.

In SW Idaho, I generally hunt public land, but much prefer private land when I can get access (which gets more and more difficult with each passing year). In SW, our bird numbers have been WAY DOWN since about 2008.
[signature]
Gotcha! I was just wondering. Im down in franklin county.
[signature]
With the end of turkey season fast approaching, I've decided I'm done for this year. If you find the entry acceptable (fine if you don't), I'd like to enter this bird: http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Idaho...ead#unread. I know I'm missing at least one (if not more) of the required pictures so if it not an acceptable entry, then I'm fine with it.