Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what are your views on the c&r of "trash" fish?
How do you feel about c&r of "trash" fish ie. carp, suckers, chub, ect. i personally would rather catch and realease these fish then catch and kill them just to watch them die, i dont have any problems with keeping them to use for bait but i am kind of a tender heart and really cant bear to watch a animal suffer expecially if it is fo its own life? what are your opinions?
[signature]
I may keep one once in awhile to use for bait also. But not too often. I think we need to share the wealth just a bit and support our local bait shop from time to time.
[signature]

Hey there fish4fish,

Uh Oh, I'm gonna get stomped here. There are two types of anglers that I think are naughty naughty.

1) Bucket Biologist- These are the criminals that 'plant' species of fish where they are not or never have been native just because they want that fishery. Half-wits.

The fools don't realize that there may be a reason the species in not in their beloved waters. 'Geee don't see no more trout round here no more, dang poachers' Duh!, 'Where'd all these weed come from?' Duh!

2) Kill 'em All, Take No Prisioners Mentality- There are a group of selfish, jerks that have little respect for life and certianly not natures scheme of balancing things out. When I see someone digging a hole to put fish species he doesn't want to keep or release (compete for survival with his desired species) I never fail to talk to myself (I have been know to use words that Ms Manners would not approve when I talk to myself) when walking by.

If one catches a trash fish and the DFG has requested that the fish not be returned to the water, I feel one should dispatch the poor hapless creature painlessly as possible. If no such request exists, wave bye bye to your new found trash fish friend and wish him or her well.

I know I'm really wishy-washy on these issues but you really hit the ol' pet peev! list head on!

JapanRon
[signature]
trash fish ? i tend to think of all fish as sportfish i even go carp fishing on purpose ! they are a blast on 4 # test line and i return them back to be caught another day
[signature]
carp are enemy invaders that dont belong here - throw em all on the bank . ..

sm
[signature]
I'd say let them live for another day. There is no possible way that one or two anglers can significantly reduce the numbers of "trash fish" by killing what they catch anyway. Besides, one man's trash fish is another man's treasure .... er...... fish. Anyway, I'll keep a carp for bait if I need it, but otherwise I'll let them go. There's no point in wasting them, plus in many states (including Utah) it is illegal to just toss them on the bank. If you're not going to harvest them, even if they are designated as "nongame fish", then you must release them. Many of these trash fish are also the prey and food for our beloved sport fish species. I also love to catch carp. They're usually good sized and put up a good fight. My 2cents.
[signature]
If they don't belong there they are going to the garden.
[signature]
That's the best place for "Carp Stew". Right in the rose bushes.
[signature]
[size 2] You hit the nail on the head Ron. I feel the same way. Introduction of non endigenous species into a lake is crazy. Alot of people have no idea the impact this has on other species![/size]

[size 2] And those " Kill them all " type make me want to puke. I have seen those idots catch a tomcod or mackeral or something like that then slam it on ground a couple times and toss it back in water. I mean what kind of sick people are these?[/size]

[size 2] If you don't want it throw it back! Or kill it quickly.[mad][/size]
[signature]
The number one fish that I hate to catch is the BULLHEAD. When ever one happens to get on my hook, it learns to fly...right into the bushes![Wink] As for carp, I like catching them. Last summer I caught a 10 pounder on the Missouri River and man did it fight! I released it because I simply didnt want to keep it. But I guess for me it depends on what mood I'm in. If I catch a whole bunch of suckers that keep stealing my bait, the next ones I catch are also going to learn to fly! But if i catch only a few I'll put them back in the water.
[signature]
Carp- great fighters lots of fun to catch. Put one in an old bath tub of clean chemical free (well or creek) water and let the swim for a week or so to clean out that mud vein and then they can be cleaned and eaten. Dog gone good deep fried with Mac salad and fries. Wash it down with ice cold iced tea.

Suckers- Again these can be eaten and are good fair. Not quite in the range of crappie or perch. Waleyes are also close to the top of the list. Hey wait a minute aren't Cats a type of trash fish. Hmmm.

Chubs, drum, etc, use a couple for cat bait and toss em back. God (mostly) put them there for a reason. Course there are the bucket heads and the fish tank stockers (stupid people mostly).
[signature]
If you find that they still have a musty taste then I would recommend soaking the fillets in milk overnight. That is what I usuall do with catfish. I'm sure that it would work for carp as well.
[signature]
well, i,m kinda wishy washy on the subjest too, as fer as havein have anythin in my brooks besdes trout, the suckers clean the bottom and spurt up food on the top that the trout eat. thats why they hang together. the trout fowllow the suckers and visaversa. i do not like seein bass or perch in my brooks. they are not meant to be ther, and as of last 2 summers they been runnin my brooks. thats not a good sighn cause theres never been bass, or perch in that brokk since i was a kid fishin it since i was7-8. when we builtthe house. only minners suckers and trout. been that way all my stepfathers life time there, my uncles fihin days, too, and me and cliff, well somethins sayin, the oxygen in the pond is goin from the milfoil in there, so those fish are also tryin to find good clean water with oxygen in it. i write the state and tell what i see when i seeit goin on and last year and the year before i wrote em bout it. tickin me off cause ill be writin more. they ain,t gonna git rid of me that easy! and you guys know i got a BIG MOUTH.! HAHAHAsee i can bust myself haha, but anyways i dont kill htesucker cuse there suppose ot be thee, the perch and the bluegills and rock bass, well i odnt like it, but i generally bring em home to feed the hounds. there not wasted and the hounds love em. if the perch are big enough i eat.em and the hound shares.i can,t kill anythin just to waste it. and i wont shoot nothin lest i use it. just me i guess. some coyotes are rabied so i go shootin them and not to have rabies spread, to other animals, and to have em cut down on gittin deer and when thees too many. a few in an area aint bad, but when we git packs thats not good. later[Smile]
[signature]
I catch, I release unless someone else has a good use for it. The carp shouldn't be on the list of "garbage fish". They are awesome fighters!

Bullheads I could live without. But they have their God-given purpose as well. There's so many of them though that they'd be best off ending up as fertilizer in my eyes. I'd say 90% of last years catches were bullheads. Ugly things with sharp little spines. Just remember, if you're gonna use them for your garden, cut the spines off and throw those in the garbage. They take forever and a half to disintegrate and if you step on one in the garden, it'll go through your foot.

There's a book that I found at the library on catching and cooking what are considered "trash fish". It's called "Fishing for Buffalo" or something like that. Those of you fish eaters might want to check it out.
[signature]
[unsure] LETS LOOK AT THE STATS !!!! CARP IN LAKES TEND TO SPAWN AT THE SAMETIME THAT PANFISH AND BASS DO AND IN THE SAME AREA . THE MOVEMENT OF THE CARP , WHICH IS NON STOP , AND CAN NUMBER OVER A DOZEN MALES CIRCLING A FEMALE , CAUSES ALOT OF CURRENT THROUGH THE PANFISH SPAWNING GROUNDS , IN WHICH PUSHING THE PANFISH EGGS OUT OF THE NESTS , AND NOT GETTING FERTILIZED BY THE MALE !! IF YOU EVER SEE THIS , YOU'LL KNOW WHAT I MEAN !! ALSO , SUCKERS WILL DO THIS , BUT THEIR TAILS THAT ARE SMALLER THAN A CARPS , DON'T DO AS MUCH DAMAGE , BUT TAKES A TOLL ON THE PANFISH AND BASS JUST THE SAME !! SO AFTER HEARING THE OUTCOME , WHAT WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE , A BUNCH OF TRASH OR A GOOD CROP OF PANFISH AND BASS !! TAKE YOUR PICK !!!!! I DO NOT AGREE ON LEAVING THEM ON THE BANKS , BUT I HAVE TAKEN MY SHARE WITH BOW AND ARROW AND HAD SOME GOOD FERTILIZER AND BEAR BAIT !!!

[signature]
Carp also tend to root up a lot of the vegetation, leaving bare muddy bottoms and a lot of habitat that is unsuitable for other gamefish species.

For example, a local natural lake here in Utah, called Utah Lake (appropriate, [Wink]), used to be full of native cutthroat trout, chubs and suckers. When the first settlers came and settled on the lake shore, they brought with them the infamous carp -- which grow quickly and are easy to catch. The carp actually sustained them through the tough first few years. It also helped sustain poor people in Utah during the Great Depression. Unfortunately, Utah Lake is now a warm water species only lake. Although the rivers that dump into it still are full of trout, Utah lake is a shallow, muddy warm lake that trout cannot survive in except temporarily in the wintertime. The carp have completely destroyed most of the previously existing natural vegetation. Now the only plants are bullrushes and cattails along the shoreline.

There is also an endangered species, the June Sucker, that only lives in Utah Lake -- nowhere else in the entire world, and I believe the carp fry each year compete with the June Sucker for food.

I think that carp are fun to catch, and I don't mind hooking one now and again when I'm catfishing. Usually it means I now have bait to last for the rest of the year. If I don't need it though, I let it go.
[signature]
i bet you just LOVE dh_tubinaaron's signature.

"big and small, kill 'em all!"

kinda harsh...i throw most of my fish back..well except carp.
and i think im going to start giving away the yellowtail i catch.. i dont really like the taste of it.

joe
[signature]
[#008000][size 2]I catch and release trash fish. Of course, if the DEC was asking me not to, I would kill it mighty quickly and use it for crawdad bait! I haven't caught many trash fish in my time though... only 3, and I released them. I'm a softee![/size][/#008000]

[#008000][size 2][/size][/#008000]

[#008000][size 2]Someone told me that Rock Bass are bad to have in a trout stream and to kill them if I catch them. What's your take on that?? I also hear hear that they are good eatin', but tend to have parasites in them.[/size][/#008000]

[#008000][size 2][/size][/#008000]
[signature]
It's illegal here in Minnesota to leave any sort of fish lying on the shoreline. They also say that you can't use carp, alive or cut up, for bait. Which kind of sucks because I was hoping to use some fresh-cut carp for cat-bait this summer.

I guess I'll just need to find a place to grow a vegetable garden then I'll have all the fertilizer I need!
[signature]
I dont know about the rock bass, i live in utah and dont know if they are anywhere around here but i read tuben2 fish of the week which is the rock bass and from the sounds of it they could ruin a trout stream in a hurry so if you want a good trout stream i would get rid of them if i cam across them, by getting rid of them i mean that i would take all caught and use for sinner jsut make sure that they are cooked through
[signature]