Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike on the fly
I know with spinning and bait cast rigs it is a good idea to put steel leader on for pike and Muskie. How about a fly rod?
[signature]
I haven't done it, but I would. I don't think that they weigh enough to mess up your casting.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]The fly line is delicately balanced system. Saying that I don't think that it would cast very well. But hey - it's still worth a try.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
It casts just fine!

Seriously you won't notice a difference and the pike are not shy of the steel either. Pike will cut through almost anything else. Especially a big pike!
Absolutely! You are talking"TIPPET". Like 8" to 12" of steel "Tippet" The leader is whatever you want. You will be casting larger heavy flies which will casting farther easier. And don't do a lot of false casting over head. Great time to practice roll casting.
[signature]
I did a dry test in the yard with the small steel leader and it cast pretty decent. Good distance and all. Today I tried out my new 8wt with floating bass taper at yuba reservoir. When the fly (perch pattern) was used I noticed a definite drop in distance. Don't know if it was the weight of the fly or combined weight of the fly and leader. Also I go d out some great info on this set up. The fly skirted just under the surface 4-6 inches when stripped. Good info to know for future bass runs this summer. I did catch a pike but it was on a spoon.
[signature]
[font "Century Gothic"][#008000][size 3][Image: dumb.gif]Well obviously I have never casted a line with a steel tippet. I was thinking of a light weight setup. So how light can one go?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I found some micro leaders by eagle claw at Walmart that work great. They are really light and cast well. The heavier regular leaders I would think are too much for the fly rod.
[signature]