Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grass carp?
I have access to a small privately owned pond. I can only catch and release from it and most of the fish are panfish but they have some large grass carp in it. I would like to catch one of them but they never go after my lures or live bait.
What should I try to catch one of them on?
[signature]
flies! lol
[signature]
I seen when they cut the grass here,the carp eat it off the surface,or when it rains alot they come really shallow to eat
the grass,I always thought of using it for bait some how..
Other than dat we got these fig trees and they love to eat the fig berries when in season,I heard hybiscus flowers work,look for something edible in nature and see if they eat it,good luck,remember..if u can't catch'em,snag'em! Tongue
[signature]
I really don't know anything about fly fishing. I know they have some kind of berries growing around it. I'll have to try to figure out what they are and see if I could use them.
[signature]
Cool! Yea I love the berry season,you can try chumming with them,but first make sure chumming is legal or dat nobody is around in your state.Not sure wat the rules are where you live.[Smile] Check twice before casting,even three times! don't get in trouble,
chumming for carp may hold a high penalty[Image: happy.gif]

Be sur to check out my post "Stealth mode carp fishing"
If they like them you can fish them with weight or free lining which is my favorite method,top water carpin!

[inline "grass carp.JPG"]
[signature]
worms. everybody loves worms!

look up carpdough via Google, or youtube. You'll find various recipes. Bread wetted and wadded on a hook, especially if the pond has ducks that get fed.
I have been told that you can catch them with balls of grass. I would imagine you would need to tie this to the hook. Sounds crazy but the guys swear it works.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
[signature]
I can see that. I have caught them on a GRASS fly I tied
[signature]
We just had alot of rain here and their eating the grass,you see their backs out of the water!
If I only had a grass fly[Image: sad.gif]
[signature]