Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green river virgin...
So I am finally getting down to fish the green river next weekend and need a little help. I have never fished that river and don't know what to expect. I will be off the shore wading so I won't be able to cover a ton of water. So what are some good patterns to take? Are terrestrials out yet? Which stretch is best? I really appreciate any help I can get from you folks... Pm if you would like. Thanks again all!
[signature]
google is your friend.

however, what section is best to fish is a personal preferance. if you want a large number of fish, but not a large size, fish A. B is the same way until you get past red creek. C is my favorite, but it is the most remote, and least amount of fish will be caught in a day, but in C section you will be picking up bigger fish.

the cicada's were out last week when I was there, but not in full force. Your basic midge patterns will do you well, and if thats slow fishing try streamers they always pay off.

there are a few places you can cross the river wading, depending on flows, so you can fish the other side of pools you are targeting down by little hole.

A section is easiest to hike because of the path along the one side. You can hike B section but not as easy, not to mention the bluff you have to scale right below little hole to start heading towards grasshopper island. I guess you could hike C section if you wanted to but that would be one heck of hard place to bring a fish up in most of it.

if you get the chance and have one at your disposla, take a pontoon down A section. dont forget your flippers and life jacket. A section is fun as all to run and easy as pie. Most of the rapids are easy, and even the "hjard" one, mother in law, is super simple to run and fun as well. I love the green, the scenery is amazing and the fishing is fun to boot, have a good time.
[signature]
Google Green River blogs for current fishing conditions, but it looks like ants and cicadas are good bets for dry flies.

Be sure and check stream flows before you go. At some point in the next two weeks, they may increase it from 800cfs to 4000cfs, which then throws all bets out the window. Also, you don’t want to be wading at 800cfs when they substantially increase the flow.

You can rent a pontoon for $50-$75, and I think that includes shuttle from Little Hole (see Trout Creek Flies). This is worth it if nothing else because you can fish the other side of the river where there is no foot access.

If you just want to wade, I too would start at Little Hole. Maybe take an hour or so and hike upriver (this will get you away from crowds) then spend the rest of the day fishing back to Little Hole.
[signature]
This is perfect! The info I needed. Thanks guys... Hope it turns out to be a good trip! Now I'm all nervous I'm going to get caught in the water when they open the dam!
[signature]
don't they usually have sirens going before they raise the water level?
[signature]
Sounds like you got some good advice. Also if you want to try something different take a few fancy streamers/woolly buggers and try swinging those after dark. The browns are very active a night on the green and it is a lot of fun. Anything with a bit of gold in it works well. But I am sure most patterns will work. You'll catch quite a few as well.
[signature]
The signs say they sound a horn but it might not be audible when you're wading near a rapid. I'm sure you can ask at the dam visitor's center as to anticipated releases. You can also monitor outflow via the internet by going to this site: (cut and paste into your browser). For the last two weeks, it looks like levels have been at 800 to 850cfs while historical averages for this time of year are around 2,000cfs.

[url "http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/uv/?site_no=09234500&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,72020,00010,00095,00300,63680"]http://waterdata.usgs.gov/...10,00095,00300,63680[/url]
[signature]
Awesome... Thank you!
[signature]
Let me catch you a couple fish:
beadhead juju baetis #16, bump the bottom. Enjoy!
[signature]
You need to have some small stuff in your box for the green. Always take some 22-24 zebra midges in black and dark brown, bead head and non.

Also some size 22 pheasant tails are great as well.

If nothing else is working pound the bottom with the tiny stuff. All other suggestions were very good too.
[signature]
[quote tktmsa]Let me catch you a couple fish:
beadhead juju baetis #16, bump the bottom. Enjoy![/quote]ha perfect!! Thanks
[signature]
[quote pookiebar]You need to have some small stuff in your box for the green. Always take some 22-24 zebra midges in black and dark brown, bead head and non.

Also some size 22 pheasant tails are great as well.

If nothing else is working pound the bottom with the tiny stuff. All other suggestions were very good too.[/quote] perfect... Those are easy to tie up... Thanks for the tip!
[signature]
It would be a crime to go to the Green and not have a handful of San Juan worms. +1 on the zebra midges too. Be vary wary of the flows. Usually Memorial Day weekend (or close to it) is the time they open the floodgates. It's a time to keep a very close eye on the kiddos if you have any.

Good Luck
[signature]
[quote gaetzchamp]It would be a crime to go to the Green and not have a handful of San Juan worms. +1 on the zebra midges too. Be vary wary of the flows. Usually Memorial Day weekend (or close to it) is the time they open the floodgates. It's a time to keep a very close eye on the kiddos if you have any.

Good Luck[/quote] San Juan's check! I got an update from western rivers that they are not opening the gates for a while longer. thank you for the heads up. I was concerned about that
[signature]
When all else fails... big random bugs with lots of legs (chernobyls, stimys, madam-xs) not sure if the terrestrials are totally out in much force yet but a big gnarly fish rising to a big gnarly fly is one of my favorite things and the Green has provided me many such experiences. (Also is the easiest thing to manage floating rough water) Good luck!
[signature]
[quote Kim-n-Kota]When all else fails... big random bugs with lots of legs (chernobyls, stimys, madam-xs) not sure if the terrestrials are totally out in much force yet but a big gnarly fish rising to a big gnarly fly is one of my favorite things and the Green has provided me many such experiences. (Also is the easiest thing to manage floating rough water) Good luck![/quote] I read the terrestrials are starting g as well as cicadas so I'm hoping to get into some of those on top. I'm thinking some rubberlergs as well...
[signature]
The only good news is I doubt there will be many people there, not like it's Memorial Day weekend.....errrr....nevermind [shocked]
[signature]
We've hit the Green on Memorial Day for the last two years with good success and few others on the river -- however, I would note that both times it snowed on Memorial Day and flows were at 2,000 to 3,000 cfs.

Looks like great weather, flows remain around 800cfs, and water temp is creeping up to 48-49 degrees, so it may be a very different experience this Memorial Day. We're going to wait a few weeks before taking the plunge, but let us know how it goes.
[signature]
[quote remo_5_0] The only good news is I doubt there will be many people there, not like it's Memorial Day weekend.....errrr....nevermind [shocked][/quote] ya that's the only downside is in sure it will be busy but it's a big enough river I ain't to worried about it.
[signature]
[quote kandersonSLC]We've hit the Green on Memorial Day for the last two years with good success and few others on the river -- however, I would note that both times it snowed on Memorial Day and flows were at 2,000 to 3,000 cfs.

Looks like great weather, flows remain around 800cfs, and water temp is creeping up to 48-49 degrees, so it may be a very different experience this Memorial Day. We're going to wait a few weeks before taking the plunge, but let us know how it goes.[/quote] will do! Much better than yard work so I will take it any day! Thanks everyone for the help, it's much appreciated. I will post a follow up report when I return.
[signature]