Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Padre Island surf and Port isabel ship channel report
This is just a report of this weekends trip and the conditions and what is biting for those interrested . Not a how to report.

Well you can't always afford to pick the days that you get to fish.Saturday was picked for me, so I went ahead and siezed the opertunity.Clint and I pulled onto the beack via access #6.The sand is getting deep at that access and if it doesn't get cleaned up soon, it will be unpassable soon.The tide was about as high is it normally gets which kept me driving up in the fluffy stuff most of the time.But my 190000 mile 4X4 Toyota , although getting low on horse power, pulled through.The weather forcast stated SE winds at 10 to 20 and slowing and changing to SW later in the day.THEY LIED!The wind was South and at least 30 mph when we arived.This made for a 50 yard bow in my line at each cast.The surf was large and the current was moving every which away. I am not a good judge of wave height but there was some curls out there that would have made a surfer leery.As the day progressed the wind did change direction to SW and built to well over 30 mph. I caught myself having to lean into it to stand.We did end up catching whiting and a hard head that might have been a record. LOL But the fishing was poor at best.Shortly after dark we loaded up and drove in to Port Isabel for a bite to eat. Then we picked up a pint of live shrimp and went to the swing bridge.The tide was moving towards the bay. Which is the opposite of what it needed to be.You cant drift a shrimp under the bridge with the current moving in that direction.Fishing on the other side of the bridge is prohibited.We went up on the other side of the bridge and watched the water under the lights. There was snook the size of my arm and bigger rizing to the surface to grab drifting bait.We dropped a few shrimp in just to watch in amazement. We did manage to catch a stringer of average sized mangrove snapper and one skip jack on the fishing side of the bridge. My freezer is stuffed so I gave the fish to a guy there with his 3 kids. They left with close to 30 on their stringer.The fish may have been what he was planning to have for Thanksgiving dinner.Fried mangrove would beat turkey any day IMO.
I got home, unpacked,washed reels and got in the bed about 2:30 am.
Well that made the 3rd trip to the beach that the weather did not cooperate.But the snapper was fun on the ultra lite spinning gear
[signature]
Thanks for the report, Glad you did enjoy your self inspite of the bad weather conditions.
[signature]
I always enjoy myself when fishing. As long as I don't get a hook in me I have fun, fish or no fish,rain or shine.
[signature]