Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Epic Morning on the Berry
My Father, Daughter and Nephew took the boat out to the Soldier Creek side of Strawberry for a morning of fishing.

We boated 2 Kokanee (the first for both my daughter and me), 22 Cutthroat, and 60-ish rainbows.

We launched about 6:45AM and were done by 1PM.

The past couple of weeks has been a lot of fun up there.

It was a bit of a zoo with Free fishing day and the Very Nice Weather drawing large crowds to both the boat ramps and the shoreline.

It looked like most went home happy.

For me, the entire trip was worth it for the Koke

[inline "First Kokanee.JPG"]
[signature]
very nice job on the koke i dont get in to many of them Smile we had a good day up there today also catching 60 plus cuts 6 or 7 slot busters and just 2 bows both bows about 18 inches and all fish was released unharmed the crowd was crazy too many people every where i remember why i dont like free fishing day I just hope tomorrow will be better

did you see the bull elk that got hit OUCH!!
[signature]
oh forgot our biggest cut of the day was just a hair over 24 sorry fighting the mud and crowd today no picture
[signature]
Alrighty. What's the secret? Hit Haw's point at 7 this morning caught 7 bows and 1 cutt. Looks like you were fishing from the shore duckdog, any tips?
[signature]
fishing the soldier creekside they were catching a lot of blows over on the westside of the damn with just power bait or even the cliff area just passed the ladders I always think one of the keys is to move around until you find the fish
[signature]
Sounds like you did well. I was up at the Berry today as well. Guess I missed the crowds, cause every spot I went to was void of crowds. Of course, I slept in and fished the afternoon/evening bite, so that may have something to do with it. The nice thing about the Berry is it's so huge, so it doesn't take long to get away from the crowds.
[signature]
I didn't see the elk. Hitting an elk with a vehicle can be deadly to both however. Yikes.

And as crowded as the parking space was, as you can see by the picture, there were lots of places on the lake with very few boats.

The fish are definitely going deeper as the water is rapidly warming (it's gone from 49 early Memorial Day weekend to 56 yesterday).

Our downriggers were significantly slower than the surface stuff a couple weeks ago.

Yesterday one downrigged pole (our other downrigger broke early in the day) was responsible for about 1/3 of the fish with 5 poles in the water -- including the Kokanee in the picture. (The other was caught on a fly about 5 minutes after we launched).
[signature]
nice Wink. Me, my dad and brother caught like 30 or more in like 4 hours work a week ago.
[signature]
this was saturdays picture of the elk sunday the boggyman got its head ill bet that smelt good
[signature]
That elkl can do some damage. Thanks for the update.
[signature]