Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Road Trip Ideas?
Just wondering what everyone suggests for a fly fishing/camping road trip this summer? I have been to the Jackson area a few times and had fun. Was wondering where else might be fun in the surrounding states?

Later J
[signature]
The Jackson area is a zoo during the summer and better done in fall IMHO.
Some of my favorite summer trips fly fishing in Wyoming have been to the Wyoming Range and the Cody area. Tim Wade's North Fork Angler's in Cody has a good run down on the waters around Cody on his website and always worth stopping in if in town. http://www.northforkanglers.com/thewaters.html
North Fork of the Shoshone and Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone are my favorites. And if you like visiting the zoo in summer- there's always Yellowstone waters a short drive away.
When you going? As the rivers start to come down and spawning cutts are still upstream in the next several weeks is the best time to find bigger trout even if the wading needs to be done cautiously.
[signature]
I did Lava Hot springs last week. 2 hours from Wasatch front and had a hoot catching 14" to 18" Browns on the Portneuf River using dry and dropper in between the float tuber hatch. We camped next to the river for the weekend, played at the pools when not fishing and did a zip line. plenty to do for the rest of the family while you fish your brains out.
[signature]
We will probably go late July or August. We actually had a good time on the Snake River tribs. Just exploring other options. The crowd around Lava seemed too busy for my buddy. lol
[signature]
Maybe late enough to hit the middle anyon section of the Clarks Fork. That's if you're up for a hike on Cardiac or Deadman Creek trails. The Shoshone will be very wadable but the biggest cutts have returned to the reservoir.
[signature]
It is crowded in town,but I was the only one fishing all weekend. Just a couple minutes up stream there was nobody around.
[signature]