Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passing on the art
My son inherited a fly tying kit from his grandfather in May and has been begging me to teach him how to tie. So I picked up a few materials for him and we started with a couple of basic easy flies. The leech and the woolly bugger. He was able to tie them up pretty quick. Then I went to a griffiths gnat. He did a pretty decent job on his for the first one he ever tied. I wanted to teach him how to tie the renegade but he seemed to have gotten bored and disappeared after his third fly. So I tied a couple of renegade knowing that the last time I was in the uintas I noticed I was running a little low. I am not as good at tying dry flies as I am streamers so I will be doing a little more practicing this weekend by tying up a dozen more renegades. Here are the pics of our final products. My vise is the black one. I noticed today that my vise is showing its age and I need a new one. It is having difficulty holding onto the smaller hooks. It holds the big ones just find for all my streamers. [:p]
[signature]
Practice makes perfect. Keep at it. Don't forget the gold tag on a Renegade, it does help. Plus wire rib will keep them from getting totaled quickly.
Need a little smaller hackle as well, but good start.
[signature]
Yeah like I said I am not very good at the dries. My royal wulffs are even Sadder looking but for some reason they do catch fish.[cool]
[signature]
Kevin bugging me that I have to do this right !! Lol ok Happy 5 th July my husband and son tying flys together! My son got his own kit from my dad he just passed away may 11 th this year his birthday July 3 he be 72 . As they tie flys bring back memory's of my dad ! This is a fun way to stay out of the heat . Smile
[signature]
Sorry for you loss mamatrout. Way to carry on a tradition.
[signature]
Thanks , it fun to pass on traditions from the pass!
[signature]