Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lightest sinking lines
Anyone aware of any size 1 or 2 wt sinking lines? The only thing I can find in a nonfloating line that size is an Orvis Generation 3 Clear Intermediate line in 2 weight. On clearance for about $27 so ordered it. But I'm still looking for a bit faster sinking line in size 1 or 2 wt.
[signature]
Just a heads up, that Orvis Clear has memory from H*&^.

I bought several sinking lines for my 3 wt. Maybe look at that. Or try sink tips.
[signature]
It'll go on a large arbor BVK O reel with plenty of backing so hopefully won't be a big issue. From the reviews I saw some using heavier weights complained of memory and some using lower weights complained it didn't sink well. Bit of a gamble but since I couldn't find anything else and it's cheap I'm rolling the dice on it.
[signature]
I get that for sure. Being an Orvis dork, I have had and used all the different sink rate Orvis lines,[Smile]
[signature]
[quote riverdog]Anyone aware of any size 1 or 2 wt sinking lines? The only thing I can find in a nonfloating line that size is an Orvis Generation 3 Clear Intermediate line in 2 weight. On clearance for about $27 so ordered it. But I'm still looking for a bit faster sinking line in size 1 or 2 wt.[/quote]
Smallest sinking line I know of is intermediate in a 3 wt. everything else is for 4wt. on up.
I imagine there is hardly any call for 2 or 3 wt. sinking lines. I use 4 wt. sinking (intermediate, sink tip, and III) on my 3 wt. Shelbyville. Handles it extremely well.
I think you're just sol.
Have you tried any UK or Japanese sites yet?
[signature]
My Japanese isn't that good [Wink] . The only thing I saw was a UK site that made custom lines. I'll just try the Orvis line I ordered initially and maybe try out a polyleader on a couple lines if that doesn't work out. Otherwise it's looking like you're right- I'm sol.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Just a heads up, that Orvis Clear has memory from H*&^.

I bought several sinking lines for my 3 wt. Maybe look at that. Or try sink tips.[/quote]

I will second that, maybe winding it on a 5 gallon bucket might help the memory some ,but doubt it. Terrible line IMO .
[signature]
I found this....?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271181575607?
[signature]
Thanks, I must have missed that when I searched ebay.
[signature]
Right on. Curious if it really is.
[signature]
I'll let you know how it works out. I was looking for something I could use on both a 1 and 2 wt rod as that's usually more than enough for Uinta Lakes. A lot of lower wt. lines aren't what they say. Lots of discussions on this on the ultralight forums. The measured wts of Sage 0-000 wt lines someone posted puts them all in the 1 weight category by AFFTA standards ; http://ultralightflyfishing.com/forum/vi...=68&t=4151.
Makes me wonder if their ought weight rods aren't mostly marketing hype as well. Sounds cooler to have caught that fish on a 000 wt rod than a light end 1 wt rod I guess.
[signature]
Ya not sure of the quality either but for the price it's worth a try.
[signature]
For fishing some high mt lakes, I got a "sink tip kit". All it is is a length of heavy sinking line that you add loops to and then put it on the end of your fly line.

It worked better than I expected. It only took about 15 - 20 inches of the add on line to sink my 3 wt floating line. I would expect that it wouldn't take very much at all to do a smaller line.

You have to put a section on and then trim it until it casts ok. It isn't the greatest solution, but it works when there are no sinking lines in the lightweights. It was also lighter to backpack with than a full second reel of sinking line.
[signature]
That's my back up plan if the lines I ordered don't work out. Just hoping these lines cast better than doing that. The BVK 0 reel weighs all of 2.2 ounces , the extra spool isn't an ounce empty so won't add much weight.
[signature]
No, you're right, a reel that small won't add much. I hope the lines work.

I was using a 3 wt so it may cast that extra line weight better than a smaller wt rod. I was surprised though at how well it did cast with the tip on there. Better than trying split shot or even heavy weighted flies. The hinge effect wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
[signature]
This might be a dumb question but couldn't you just use the running line part if a heavier wt line?
[signature]
Lot of things you can do but I'm lazy off stream so I'm hoping to get something that works really well straight out of a box. Some people tie flies, build their own rods, make their own leaders and even lines. I save all that time up and use it to hike and bushwhack off the beaten trail whenever possible.
[signature]
I agree a Type II for those Uinta Lakes is a great choice. I am interested in a review of the line as I like to use my 2 wt LL. I had some junk Type VII. Not sure of the weight, but I put some loops in both ends, put straight tippet to the one end with no leader. It works great. Made them in several lengths.

The Multi Tips would be awesome as the heads are 30'. More than enough.
[signature]
Well both lines came in the mail this past week. I spooled both up but only used the 2 wt sinking line today in the Uintas. I tried it on on my 1 wt and it cast pretty darn good. Didn't sink as quite as fast as I hoped but it worked. The Orvis clear has a bit of memory but I'm thinking not as extreme as the heavier wt lines described. It looks like it's usable but never got around to trying it out.
[signature]
Very nice is that the one off ebay? Did ya get some tugs on it?
[signature]