Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kokanee on a fly
Anyone ever catch kokanee on a fly at this time of year?
[signature]
yup, slip rig, green buzzers, 50 FOW.... pain in the butt to get that leader out but its a BLAST!!
[signature]
I have never tried but I would say a type 7 line with a showgirl alaskabou fly.
[signature]
This intrigues me. In slip rig are you using a strike indicator?
[signature]
I was wondering the same thing earlier! Great minds think alike [Tongue]
[signature]
Hey there might just be a trip somewhere in this?[Wink]
[signature]
My dad has caught Lakers up in Montana on Fort Peck Lake on a flyrod. 8wt rod and he set it up on one of his downriggers. He said it was fun once... lol Many hours of battle to get it landed.
[signature]
The green buzzer looks like an interesting fly. What's the body made out of? Looks easy enough to tie as well.
[signature]
Damn that sounds epic!!!
[signature]
Laker on a fly eh? On a down rigger even? Never thought of that.
[signature]
I've tried it twice at the Gorge and twice up at the Berry with no success. I am using a type 7 line with a weighted fly (tried tons of different colors and patterns) and I've never caught anything but Cutts at the Berry and Bows at the Gorge.

I'm determined to slam one of those little turds though, and it must be this year.
[signature]
Definitely man!! Sounds like a fun time to me!!
[signature]
Koke are Dafnia eaters. If you want to use bigger flies, Larry Tullis has one. It is a mohair leech with dabs of material paint on the ends of the fibers.
What Koch is doing is deep nymphing with Slip Indicators ( I have many of them).
You are using a 50' piece of mono or fluoro (leader)off a floating line and an indicator that will break away when a fish hits and slide down the leader.
The Buzzer or CHIRONOMIDS work fantastic.
Davie has a great you tube on buzzers
http://youtu.be/f1YyvxrgwQ4

Blue is an color to never over look. Also experiment and try PINK.

You will need to go deep and that VII will work great but better on calm waters so it does go straight down. Also Renegade area is ....nice[Wink]
[signature]
Was he using a fly line, or more Mooching? That is very cool at any rate.
[signature]
So you're saying green buzzers in different colors? What size hook?
[signature]
Buzzers are in all different colors. Look at the link and change the color. I just have fantastic luck with Blue, Green and Pink.

There are so many patterns Albino. Sinergy ties absolutely beautiful Mids and Buzzers.
[signature]
Thanks, I'll look into them.[cool]
[signature]
They are interesting. English, and some are as simple as you can get
Check this one out:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http...Aw&dur=412

Many are just bare hook and a rib then gills.
[signature]
Looks really easy to tie. The only material I don't have is the 140 denier thread and the wing material used on the thorax.
[signature]
Use gift wrapping ribbon, swiss straw, clothing paint. That is the beauty, be creative.

I have tied several out of Flashabou strands. I do go through a lot of SHHAN though...LOL
[signature]