Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2-18-02 Georgia Offshore
INSHORE<br>All of us fishermen are on what I call, "waiting time." This is simple to explain. This is the time span that we have to wait for the water temperature to stop spiking and start warming. At this time of the year water temperatures are very unstable due to the fact of the ever-changing weather. <br>Soon not only will we but the fish also will get that boost that we all need to start moving about. I talked to some inshore fishermen last week that have been spending a lot of time fishing the flats, creeks, and rivers south of here. The word is good according to their report. Their fish have already started moving, which only means that the warmer water is just around the bend. <br><br><br>OFFSHORE<br>I fished the artificial reefs this past week. The bottom bite wasn't as good as it has been. However, it was still a great day of fishing. We caught lots of black sea bass, even though many weren't big enough to keep. So we just weeded out the smaller ones and kept the biggest. All of my customers couldn't believe that every time they dropped they caught a fish. The reason for the sluggish bite is due to the fact that the water temperature was 54 degrees, which is not good for the bottom fish bite in 45 feet of water. So here's exactly what we caught with everyone counting the keepers and the throwbacks. It was around 175 assorted types and size fish. The assorted types varied from triggerfish to ocean perch, but we mostly caught female black sea bass. The sizes varied from 5 to 19 inches. There is other news also the sea bass were spitting up mud and a sand mixture in the cooler. This only leads me to think that not only are they holding on the bottom, but also they were burrowed in. This is a sign of the beginning of spawning season for the black sea bass. This season usually lasts until the end of May. <br><br>More About Black Sea Bass <br><br>During the sunny calm days we as well as others did make it out to the Savannah Snapper Banks. The ride was pleasant and the bottom fishing was great. There wasn't much of a drift during our fishing day. We caught lots of large male Black Sea bass. This catch is common for this time of the year especially in 90 to 100 feet of water. These large bass have another local name, which is "green heads." Not only are the males a lot larger than the females, they are a more colorful. It's easy to tell the two sexes apart. The female is all black with white patterned spots. The males are basically the same color with the addition of green, blue, and yellow stripes located on their head. They also have a hump on their back, which is caused from the stress of having to fertilize all of the eggs that the females produce. Their stress doesn't stop there. The males are responsible for making the bed for the eggs, which sounds easy, but it's not. They have to continuously circle while sweeping a spot with their tail until it's ready for the new arrivals. There is a noticeable way to tell if the male bass are in the bed making process. On the bottom side of the male's tail is a white fin. It's usually the longest in the tail section, but only if the males are not bedding. The white fin will be haggard or worn partially off. Now you know the rest of the story!<br><br>At any rate, both sexes are fun to catch and will eagerly take the bait offering of squid. In fact they can't resist the taste. I was using my famous double hook rigs made with 2/0 hooks. Most cases we caught two fish at a time, but there were a few times that we caught three. Which meant that two fished had to share a hook. It looks a little weird, but none of the fishermen complained! <br><br>Along with the sea bass that we caught at the Savannah Snapper Banks there were also lots of red snapper caught. However, not all of these fish were of legal size. A genuine red snapper has to be 20 inches long to be legal. This size usually weights about 7 pounds, which is a very nice fish. When red snapper are schooling they usually stay with fish that are of the same size. So therefore, if you start catching 22-inch red snapper, your chances are good that most of them will be legal. However, if your snapper are barely 20 inches, it's time to move to another spot. Unfortunately most of the fish that you will catch in this school will be too small to keep. I know it hard to move from a school of fish that are feeding, but look at it this way. By moving you won't be killing any more fish unnecessarily. The long pull to the top usually takes quite a bit out of the fish. However, please still do try to release them alive. If their stomach area feels bloated, please deflate the air bladder. This gives them the chance that they need to go back to the bottom and start the process of recouping. <br><br><br>GULF STREAM<br>For those of you that have accepted the "Blue Water Cabin Fever Blues" get ready to be released from your current nightmare status. Spring is clearly on its way and the blue light is definitely on at the end of the tunnel. So therefore any day that you can go by all means let it RIP!<br><br><br>"Little Miss Judy's Believe It or Not"<br>When my father left us and went to his reward I found a letter while going through his things. The letter was addressed to Procter and Gamble. The letter read something like this.<br><br>Dear Procter and Gamble,<br><br>I just wanted to drop you this note to let you know about one of your products. Your toothpaste is wonderful for my teeth, but I have found a much better use for it. I put a little of your toothpaste in the toe end of each of my shoes. This gives my toes a cooling sensation that lasts most of the day. <br><br>I just wanted to thank you and yours for your product.<br><br>Captain Sherman I Helmey<br><br>I didn't keep the letter because at the time I didn't know the true meaning of the word "Priceless!"<br><br>Here is my line, now bite my hook!<br><br>Captain Judy<br>Miss Judy Charters<br>912-897-4921<br>www.missjudycharters.com<br><br><br><br><br><br>