Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Fly Rod Advice
Hey, I'm seeking a little advice. I'm really interested in getting into fly fishing. I fish 2-3 days a week already. But I don't own a fly rod. Looking on line there appears to be soooo many options in every pricepoint imagineable, it's a little overwhelming. I plan to fish rivers and lakes, maybe take it on a hike every now and again. What pole would be a good starter pole? I don't want to break the bank, should I trust buying a used pole off ksl? What weight and length would give me the most options for fishing multiple species? Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to spend between $100 and $150. Can I get a good starter rod for that?

Thank you
[signature]
Your options are pretty good in that price range. If your looking for versatility get yourself a 5wt. You can chuck dries, nymphs and even streamers if its got some backbone. Temple fork, redington, and allen all offer rods in that range. Keep in mind, assuming you don't have a reel you will spend around $50-$100 for a good starter reel and another $40-$70 to line the reel. So plan on a couple hundred bucks to get started. Also check the " for sale" section, I always see good deals in there. Good luck! And once you catch that fist fish jut go ahead and put away the spinning rod as if your like me you won't ever touch it! [fishon]

I have heard good things about the cabelas cgt fiberglass rod. It's on sale right now for almost half price. Thanks to catcherman I'm lookin at getting one myself! http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-C...409646.uts
[signature]
Do it[Wink] but when purchasing one I would plan on over lining i found my 4 wt loads with a five wt better. and can cast a 6 good too for quick short loads.
[signature]
Don't beat your self up too bad or too long over this decision because your first rod is not going to be your last rod. Ask anybody here, we have between two and 62 rod each.

In that price range I would buy one of the packaged deals. With the line, the reel and rod all in one. And save your money for next years new rod when you know more about your casting and fishing preferences.
[signature]
For an inexpensive rod, I have a Three Forks 3wt that I really like.

For lakes and streams I would recommend a 4 piece 4 or 5wt. First thing to upgrade would be the line.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/F...t105571980
[signature]
Everything has already been said, but I want to stress, the line is VERY important. You can cast a Good line with a broom stick, but you can't cast a bad line with the best rod out there.
True you will buy more rods down the road, but I still use my first rod (meaning rod I bought not hand me down) if you buy "good" gear. Not bank breaking, and it is a fly "rod" not a fishing "pole"[Wink]

I recommend and teach with a Mid flex rod as it teaches one to slow down and wait for the load. Fast action will create bad habits as it is more forgiving. If anyone here cast a full flex for a month, then pick up a fast action, you will see what you have learned[cool]

If you have to over load a rod by more than one, you have bought the wrong rod for your style. Or too fast action.

Overlining by one will help cast farther, but on rivers remember to start off close and work your way out.

Longer rod will help learn roll casting and there too, a medium action rod will work better.

For a one rod stream and stilwater a 9' (8'6" at least) 5 wt is a great all around rod.
Reel, you can find them for $20. Many love the Pflueger Medalist. In most cases, it is just a place to store your line, but a fair drag is good, more for stillwater.

Fly line, get the best you can afford. Scientific Anglers GPX line are one size over.

Lastly, use a good tapered leader and it will all fall into place.[Smile]
[signature]
I'm no expert, but I have been fly fishing for over 50 years.My first experiences were horrible - because I had horribly mis-matched equipment. For that reason, I always recommend that first-timers buy a packaged outfit.

Most makers offer one, from Reddington to Orvis. Do pick one in #4, #5 or #6 because they are almost universally useful. Not too heavy for small stream dry flies and not too light for big river nymphing. A nine-foot #5 is widely considered the be THE universal fly rod.

Then get some actual hands-on help with casting. You will need some help getting it right.

Welcome to the club.
[signature]
Oh and my recommendation is "ALLEN FLY FISHING" Compass rod, and AST reel.
But while I agree with Rocky about bad choice, one will loose interest, I think the bad choice will be in LINE then rod. If the rod is a club, one will go back to spinning. If the line will not load, one will go back to spinning.
But the reel will play very little in this other than balance. If you have a light rod and a heavy reel, it will not swing the way it should. But this also works in if the rod is tip heavy, add a heavier reel to balance it out. You want a Pendulum action.
[signature]
I knew that you guys would have great info. Even if I don't understand it all. Fly fishing seems to have it's own unique language. I was looking at some sets online and was thinking of going that direction. If I spent $100 -$150 on a starter set, would the line included be junk? What would a spool of 'good' line cost? I re-line my casting rods annually with a $20 line. I cringe when I see those $50 dollar lines. I can't imagine it makes that much difference, but obviously in fly line it does.
Thanks for the advice, maybe when I get everything together I'll ask about casting lessons.
[signature]
I would get a 5 weight.

As for combo rods (line, reel, and rod) I would highly recommend the Cabela's combo.

I bought a 8 weight combo for $100 and I love it. If it ever breaks I can just exchange it for another one.
[signature]
Fly line will be much more expensive but depending on how much you use it and maintenance you can get 2 to 5 years. Some longer.
Rio, Scientific Angler, Cortland, Airflo, Wulff, Sage just to name a few and don't forget Orvis. They are having a big sale right now. Check ebay and Sierra Trading Post too, but you will be looking at in the range of $40.00.
I have only bought one kit in my life and the rod was all I used and still do. Get the best you can afford or you will loose interest. Seen it happen a lot.

I taught a group a few months back and one of the students had a budget rod and reel, but the line was terrible. I let him cast my Allen Fly Fishing AST set up with SA line and he was totally shocked at the difference and how easy it was.

I read all the time of the price of Lures! YIKES LOL
[signature]
I see an Orvis Dork in the making!
It's a lifestyle. Get lessons from Mickey @ Fish Tech. You won't regret it.

Signed,
An Orvis, Winston, Simms, Willie J, S.A., Hardy Dork
[signature]
Lines should last many hundreds of hours of use/ that's many thousands of trout once you get the basics down[Wink]. So think of it as a couple cents per fish. Line does mater but to me any descent midflex rod can cast 98% of appropriate lines out there very accurately.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy an older premium rod off KSL or ebay. FG looks to still have an orvis tls 9' 5 wt rod of her brothers for sale. You can get some really good deals on ebay on good reels as long as you aren't set on a Hardy or Orvis CFO. A new Orvis encounter LA reel is only $49. Just missed a great sale on Battenkill Bar Stock Reels starting at $69.
I'd take a descent used Orvis or Sage rod and reel any day over most of those starter packages.
I just ordered a custom 5'8" 1 wt rod from RDP rods http://www.rdpflyrods.com/flyrods.html
for all of $145. Weighs like an ounce and cast far better than 98% of rods I've ever handled. Longer and larger weight rods are just a bit more.
I have a 7'11" 4 wt 2 pc orvis TLS I'll let go to a BFTer for $140. Been traveling and I'm leaving the country for 2 weeks so wasn't going to list it until I got back at the beginning of August.
[signature]
[quote mojorizing]I see an Orvis Dork in the making!
It's a lifestyle. Get lessons from Mickey @ Fish Tech. You won't regret it.

Signed,
An Orvis, Winston, Simms, Willie J, S.A., Hardy Dork[/quote]

+`1 on going to fish tech. Those dudes really know there stuff!!!

I owe a big chunk of my fly fishing knowledge to them.

Mickey, Sam, Nate and of course Jim. They are excellent fly fisherman that will teach you a ton.
[signature]
Just my 2 cents on the importance of line. I have two rods both are about equal in price and quality. But... One has $70 rio line and the other has $30 Cortland line. The cheaper line does its job but it takes a lot more effort to cast it. I would have never spent $70 on line but I bought a reel off ksl and the line was on it. I had no idea what I was missing out on. I will never skimp on line again.
[signature]
Yes but a $30 Cortland is going to be the Yugo of fly lines.
[signature]
This Remington it's $179 but nice rod just got it really strong, nice casting if you get one I would get 5wt. It's good for all flys dry nymphs and steamers fine!
[signature]
Ok... Did I just get zinged with a Yugo reference??? Haha!! Wow...
[signature]
If it was me I would get an allen compass fly rod. They have a deal right now that gives you a 100 gift certificate for 75 dollars its in the weekly special section on their website. I have heard good things about this particular rod although I dont have one I have a couple other of their rods and the guys there are awesome. That would leave you 75 dollars left for a reel and line. You can find decent fly reels on ebay and the rest on a decent line.
http://www.allenflyfishing.com/compass-rod-series/
[signature]
[Smile]Like Joni said you can't go wrong with the Allen Compass in a 5wt. This rod roll casts better than all the other rods I have used. I can really feel the rod load easily almost without thinking about it. As far as the price of this rod I think it right around 100.00. Cant say for sure as Joni gave me mine. Thank you soooo much Joni. Spend all you can on the flyline. SA Sharkskin GPX Taper is the best in my opinion. It is 100.00 and well worth it I think. Try a few before you buy if you can. I have the compass a sage and a greys you can try if you would like. I also have a sweet little 6ft 6 cabellas 3 wt you can try also.[Wink]
pa
[signature]