Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friday Floatilla at Starvy 7-19-13
[#0000FF]TubeBabe and I met up with Wagdog...and later LloydE...for a mini floatilla. Several birthdays among us over the next week so we thunk we'd celebrate.

TubeBabe and I hit Rabbit Gulch about 6:15 am and were ready to launch when Wagdog drove up in his purty red truck...and got stuck...in the mud from the fast dropping water. Soooooooo...being the kindly guy I are I drove over to him and towed his sorry self out with my tow strap and 4X4. He was relieved, saying that would have probably cost $400 from a towing company. I told him I would do it for half.

Launch delayed a half hour. Got TubeBabe away from the shore and then myself. "Muddog" took a while longer to get set up but got out amongst us in fine fashion...even without a motor.

Air temp was 65 and water temp was 68 at launch. Light breezes that got a bit stronger and stayed steady until about 9ish.

TubeBabe drew first blood...slimer blood. Got a nice Starvation steelhead to get the day started. I worked all the way across the channel to the other side...without a tap. Then I started seeing some fish. Stuck a lower teen incher wallie and was telling myself that it was gonna be a good day. Thunk that too early.

As I was dropping down for another fish I got a shout from LloydE...who had just arrived. He apologized for being late and went off on some wild story about a "comedy of errors"...and that he might just have to go back home without fishing. First he found his nightcrawlers had "passed on", and rotted. Had to look all over for replacements at dark thirty in Orem. Then when trying to air up his rubber raft...so his dearly beloved could join him upon the waters...his electric pump quit working.

Ta daaaaaa! TD to the rescue. Damn the fishing, full speed ahead....err, backward. Drained about half my battery running across the lake at high speed to get in my vehicle and hand off my pump. Day saved for Lloyd and spouse. Another 45 minutes cut out of my fishing time.

By the time I got back to the area where I had found some fish, they was gone, gone, gone. Serves me right, I said to myself. And myself said "Shut up and fish." So I did. And I found more fish and caught some.

All of us caught walleyes. Some more and some bigger than others. Wagdog...who had never caught a walleye before...was top rod. Kept 9 nice walleyes from footlongs to the biggest for our group at 19". Also had a couple of 17s and a couple of fat fourteens in the mix. He lost a nice rainbow early in the day. No perch and no smallies.

TubeBabe caught 3/4 of a slam. 2 trout, some perch and some walleyes. Biggest walleye for her was maybe 14".

I had an official Starvation Slam: 1 trout, a half dozen small smallies to 12", a dozen perch to 10" and a dozen or so walleyes. I kept 5 of the walleyes from footlong to my biggest at 17 inches. Had some nice fat fourteens too.

We were all doing well until some dimbulb from the power squadron decided to show off his speed boat, making a couple of turns around the Gulch at high speed...following the general line of the channel dropoff...our prime fishing area. That did it. Game over. No more action after about 10 am. Blue skies, calm water, lovely day...but the fish decided to go dine elsewhere.

Once Lloyd and his wife got launched I could not raise them on the radio any more so I don't know how they finished. I hope Lloyd will respond and let us know how they did...and I hope they did well.

I was proud of Glen...Wagdog...errrr, Muddog. His first real walleye outing and he whacked 'em pretty good. Of course I guaranteed he would get some and he had faith. Hallelujah.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
As always, well played good sir....well played.
[signature]
Today would not have worked out without your help, TubeDude. Stuck truck, no luck, what the...heck. Anyhow, the TD wobble jig in red/chartreuse and fire tiger were the ticket. The check for the tow is in the mail. Oh yeah. We ate fillets and ribs tonight. Outstanding! All you walleye anglers out there, I get it now. I had a blast today!
[signature]
Even on a day full of sequences you still come up with a great catch. Nice job. Later J
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad you were able to make it and even more so that you were able to join the ranks of the wallieholics. They are fun to catch and fight a lot harder in Starvy than they are generally given credit for. Oh yeah, they eat purty good too.

I have alerted my accounting department to watch for your check. When I told them who would be sending it...and why...there was much chortling and guffawing. Then they went back to looking for UFOs and Sasquatch. Better odds.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff][#0000ff][#0000ff][b]TANKS
[inline Abbot.jpg]

[/#0000ff]
[/b][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice to see starvation coming around.
[signature]
Pat, Thank you for the loan of your pump. You at least saved our fishing trip. However, after yesterday's fishing experience I am not sure about all of the work involved getting that Avon Raft into the water. It was a lot of work for my wife and me--we realized that were are certainly not as young as we were the last time we fished in the raft.

We did have a lot of fun fishing, however, even though our fishing time in the water was short, and even though we missed the best fishing time of the day. We missed getting several fish into the boat, but we did take home two walleye and a trout. Cherie caught a 13" walleye when I handed her my fishing rod while I was working on hers. Then I caught a 19" walleye, and a 15 1/2" trout.

After this fishing experience Cherie agreed that she would try fishing in one of my float tubes on our next fishing adventure. I told her that we would just take out the tubes to see how she would do in the float tube, before we added "fishing" to the experience.

Incidentally, I assumed that you tried to let us know when you left for home. When I tried to contact you I realized that the channel on my walkie talkie was somehow changed to channel 4 in the process of moving around trying to set up fishing rods for both myself and my wife. Therefore, we were unable to talk to you before you left the water.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Happy to hear you got some fish. Too bad you couldn't have had an earlier start. It was definitely best before about 9:30.

I completely understand your feelings about the larger boat. Getting tougher for us to even set up and launch the float tubes anymore...especially carrying those big ol series 27 batteries. But we would not be without auxiliary power any more.

Good thinking to get your wife in a float tube without the pressure of having to learn the fishing part too. If she can enjoy just the tubing then the fishing will come easier. Be sure to make it someplace where the launching is easy and there will not be a lot of boat traffic. More likely for it to be a pleasurable experience.

After trying to raise you on the walkie talkie a few times...without success...I guessed that you had either accidentally turned the radio off or you simply didn't want me to bother you while you were fishing. TubeBabe just turns hers off and then later claims that I was not transmitting so she didn't hear me. So I'm accustomed to being ignored.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Good on ya gettin a slam!!!! I noticed that most of the fish had them red glitter jig heads decoratin their lips....I need to contact the manufacturer and re-new my supply!!! Glad to see ya are gettin out a little.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Hey, I haven't seen any reports from you for a while. Hope you are doing okay. I'm getting out about once a week...with the wind. Got out twice last week. Yay team.

The deadly RC Killers DID produce most of the fish I caught on that trip. And the most and biggest came on the little wobble head "jingle jig" with a little nickel blade and chartreuse bead for extra added attraction.

You know where I live.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
nice haul there TD, you got some good eats on those eyes, still a strange perch year there for sure.
Also nice on the trout, we didn't try for any but was surprised to not even have one on.[crazy]
thanks for the update
[signature]
[#0000FF]Haven't had any good perch reports from Starvy since iceout. As you know, there have been some caught...but not many. I got a few on this trip but they were one here and one there. Still haven't seen anything on sonar that looked anything like a perch school. In most recent years they swarm the shallows around most of the lake by now.

As the water warms to the 70 degree mark the trout tend to either go deeper or move to fresh water inlet areas. If there is water coming in the diversion at Knight Hollow there will be more there. Last year they schooled up in the Strawberry River arm...above the bridge.

On this recent trip we saw very few mid depth trout cruisers as we moved over deeper water. We either hooked them right below the surface...after a cast...or right on the bottom in deeper water (over 25 feet). And I only landed one. Generally have no problem limiting on trout if I pursue them...or even if I don't. I enjoy catching them and they are great eating from that lake.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]