Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Poll for the week of Dec 1
[size 3]What is your favorite type of bait to use for the type of fishing that you do most?? I you fish more than 1 species, then feel free to share that additional information with us as well. [/size]
[signature]
For catfish my favorite bait is carp meat. It's readily available, free, and easy to come by. It also happens to catch me a lot of big cats. I've been told white bass meat works better, but it isn't as easy to come by. I can catch one carp and have enough bait for several trips!
[signature]
White bass meat definitely works great for catching big white bass too. I'm not sure it's legal though.
[signature]
It is legal, but only in Utah Lake. Check the DWR Fishing proclamation for details:

The following is from the link below:

Dead white bass may be used as bait only in Utah Lake.

[url "http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/proclamations/2003_fishing/2.html#fishing"]http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/proclamations/2003_fishing/2.html#fishing[/url]

Just an FYI. [Tongue] If I could catch white bass more often, I'd definitely use them for bait more. I can easily get a carp in about 5 minutes from a pond at the end of the parking lot where I work.
[signature]
[cool][size 3]As a kid in Idaho, I learned to get my own nightcrawlers. I also discovered grasshoppers and other streamside insects...like caddis and salmonflies. Those were my trout baits. [/size]

[size 3]Although much of my fishing these days is with some form of plastic, jig or hardbait, I often sweeten these artificials with pieces of crawler...the most universally accepted bait in fishland. I also use precut and prepared pieces of several different kinds of fishmeat. I usually cut and flavor the bait the night before a trip with either shad oil or crawdad oil.[/size]

[size 3]If I am using plain old bait, with no lures, then it's either a whole crawler or a large slab of cut bait. Carp is easy to get, keep and use. And, you can cut it into whatever size strips you want. I prefer the slick skinned mirror carp. I also favor chunks of mackerel or bonito. They are oily a flavorful. Catfish candy. [/size]

[size 3]You can't use live minnows in Utah, but wherever they are legal they will catch a lot of fish you can't catch on anything else. Shiners, shad, carp minnows and small sunfish are highly effective wherever you can get them and legally use them. They are often great as dead baits too, as are chubs. [/size]

[size 3]One of the more interesting baits I have ever used is squirrel legs. The big bull trout of the rivers around Flathead Lake in Montana are carnivores. You first shoot a few ground squirrels (potguts) with a 22. Then you skin out the legs and fish them like a nightcrawler. No foolin. They catch a lot of big old trout on those legs. Of course the population of the bull trout has declined in recent years and the big boys are fewer and farther between.[/size]

[size 3]I used to use salmon eggs and "bottle baits". Haven't owned or used any for over twenty years. Used to make my own "Pokee Bait" when I lived in Utah. Any oldtimers remember that stuff?[/size]
[signature]
Hey there guest. Welcome to the BFT message boards. Please don't forget to register. It is free and it will also enable you to participate in some good prizes and giveaways that are only available to registered members of BFT.

Thank you for your contribution.[Smile]
[signature]
I'm still working on learning the whole bait dept. So far, crawlers and waxworms have worked the best. I just filleted out and froze a white bass for future use. We'll see how it works!

ES
[signature]

Hi there TubeN2,

There you go again, another interesting topic to comment on!!!! ha ha ha

I assume you mean something organic and either living or once lived. Before either of our times, guys used to use the term bait to mean annnnnnnnythinnnnnnnng as the most natural thing. I noticed collectors and bass pro's still use the term consistantly.

Freshwater-
Panfish- Crickets
Trout- Worms
Catfish- Worms

Saltwater-
Halibut- Smelt
Bonito- Anchovy
White Sea Bass- Live Squid
Yellowtail- Sardine
Barracuda- Anchovy
Calicos- Anchovy
Calico Grumpy- Squid
Sand Bass- Fresh Dead Squid
Opaleye- Green Peas
Zebra Perch- Green Moss
Catalina Blues- Squid Strips
Blacksmith Perch- Squid Strips
Sheephead- Squid (secret way to fish)
Whitefish- Squid Strips
Black Sea Bass- Mackerel
Albies- Anchovy
Yellowfin Tuna- Sardines
Lingcod- Sardines

JapanRon
[signature]
blue gills using a megabait TB-50
[signature]
[Smile]Walleye>>> minnow

Pike >>> dead smelt

>
[signature]
Hey Dave, what color and size do you use? Is that the jb-50 or the tb-50?? I was looking on stocking up on a few different ones to put them up in a contest against my rooster tails and other old favorites. I'm always looking for more options as well. It makes it easier to recommend stuff to other people if you've tried it yourself.
[signature]
It is beer clored, and it is about 2 inches long. you can see a picture of it on the 16 species contest.

I have one of each mentioned in your post.
[signature]
Hey thanks Dave. After you posted that, I went to check the extremlures site and they only had the jb. It's nice to know that there is such a variety out there. I am getting ready for some of the deeper water gills as well as the LMB. Thanks for the helpful information and keep up the good job.[cool]
[signature]
for walleye ...beef liver...cut in small thin strips
[signature]
I will try all suggestions that are posted here at BFT, but always revert back to the faithful nightcrawler!
[signature]
[cool] Don't throw the crawlers back so soon. I use all the suggestions and tips that I find here too. But when all else fails, I pull out my crawlers.[Smile]
[signature]
If I use bait it is either eggs or crawlers
[signature]
I apologize again for my late reply.

My fishing is 99% stream trout fishing.

Although I've heard strips of sucker belly are great for trout, I haven't yet tried any on streams. I've tried them on lakes, but like the rest of my lake fishing -- no great success. Colorado doesn't allow the use of sport fish -- whole or any part -- as bait.

For bait fishing, I start with whole crawlers. If the fish are small -- 10 inches and less, I halve the crawler. When crawler fishing is slow and the water clear, I switch to a single Fireball which seems to work better than crawlers when Rainbows predominate in clear water. Except for big waters, these are fished unweighted or at most with one of Fly-Rite's small, cylindrical weights. On big water, I weight with Bass Pro's XPS clam shot (#8 to #4).

For artificials, I use plain Mepps Aglias -- 00 and 0 on small streams and beaver ponds, #1 on medium to large streams and #3 and #4 on big canyon rivers. Silver when the waters are murky to slightly turbid, gold and then Black Fury as the waters clear. In addition, I size down as the waters approach crystal clarity. I've also used Rapalas on the big waters like the Yellowstone upstream of Livingston with excellent results.
[signature]
Hey there hharada, Thanks for your contribution to this thread. Although it was late it was still a necessity to this board. Any post(fishing related) at any time is always welcome. Keep up the good work and we look forward to reading more of your posts in the future.
[signature]
For bass you cant beat a spinnerbait or a senko.

Bassmaster-ND