Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foul hooked State Record Trout
[size 2]Corona Lake's 27-pound rainbow
would have toppled state record

The state record for rainbow trout is a 26.08-pounder caught at Santa Ana River Lakes in February, 2002, but that record would have been toppled at Corona Lake this holiday weekend.

"Would have" because the huge 27-pound rainbow landed by Chuck Kemp of Compton last Friday was foul-hooked while he was casting with a Roostertail covered in Crave Nitro Grease. It still took Kemp a long while to land the huge trout, and while it's the largest rainbow trout ever caught in the state, it won't qualify as a state record. The catch, if actually hooked in the mouth and landed, would have also replaced the Corona Lake record of 22 pounds, also caught in Feb. 2002.

The biggest fair-hooked trout at Corona Lake this past weekend was a 15 1/2-pound rainbow landed by Dylan Unger, Riverside, while fishing with rainbow Crave Nitro Dough near the boat dock. An 11 1/2-pound trout was caught by Bob Miller, Simi Valley, fishing green Nitro Dough off the far shore.

"What a weekend," said David Horn at the Corona Lake store. "Everyone here caught fish and most everyone had full limits with 10 to 12 pound stringers the norm."
Horn said that while a few of the super trophies planted last week for the Thanksgiving weekend had been caught there are still lots of them in the lake because many anglers can't land the big trout on the light line required to fool them into biting.

The good news is that more of the super trophies along with regular trout plants will go in this week. In addition, there will be a bonus planting of tagged trout worth cash and prizes along with a plant of monster catfish from 10 to 15 pounds for this upcoming weekend's full moon madness when anglers can fish all night Friday and Saturday on special passes.

The Christmas Tag Extravaganza lands from Dec. 4 through Dec. 24, and there will be 1,000 tagged trout planted in Corona Lake during the course of this event.
Corona Lake is open seven days a week with fishing allowed from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. on day passes, or from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. on an evening pass. Each $18 pass has a five-fish limit. There will be 24-hour fishing allowed Friday and Saturday nights once a month. Trout and catfish are planted at Corona Lake each week.

For more Corona Lake fishing information, call (909) 277-4489[/size]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator

Hi there theangler,

Heard about that and as I have voiced before in so many words, pay-to-fish-lake's fish have not much business in qualifying for any state's record. Especially when a lake is annually drained (or even every other or 3 years) and a fish is caught within days, weeks or even months of being dumped in the water with a state record weight already attained. SARL (example) was last drained not too many years ago.

It's the old 'in such a manner that the fish voluntarily takes the bait or lure in its mouth' catch that stifled the uproar this time! ha ha ha

Going to take my nextdoor neighbor to SARL next week so it ain't that I hate the place.

JapanRon
[signature]
[size 2]I do not see any difference between them dumping it in a regular lake over a man made lake. Originally I thought I had an issue with it but I don't[unsure][/size]

[size 2] Alot of the regular lakes are stocked with fish same as pay lakes. Pay lakes just do it more frequently.[/size]

[size 2] The issue I do have is dumping a state record in there from the get go. If I understand Ron correctley I think that is his issue too.[/size]

[size 2] I think state records should not allow that. That's like growing a bear in the zoo until he huge, then releasing him only to have a hunter shoot him same day and claim some kind of record![crazy][/size]

[size 2] I may go this weekend too. I did not make it last Friday. To many things going on around house.[/size]
[signature]
Currently the CA DFG hosts 3 individual spots for Raninbow Trout State Records. One of them affords the spot for hatchery pets recently planted. See for your self. The Rainbow Trout records are the first 3 on the list of all the rest of the state records.

[url "http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishing/html/AnglerRecognition/StateRecord/AnglingRecords.htm"]www.dfg.ca.gov/fishing/html/AnglerRecognition/StateRecord/AnglingRecords.htm[/url]

I personally agree that a "qualified state record" should be pretty much born and raised in such waters that the fish is eventually caught in. Furthermore it should not be a private pond either. Just my 2cents worth.
[signature]
[size 2]Born and raised huh? What if he is born in a river and moves to the lake for the view?[crazy] Still count?[sly][Tongue][/size]
[signature]
A hatchery holding pond is hardly considered a river. They are just a big cement lines swimming pool.
[signature]
the fish gods have shown there disdain for hatchery raised trout !
[signature]

Hi there TubeN2,

Good show my man! Excellent sluething and it puts a bit of a different perspective or slant on the issue. My main squawk was with the record fish 'just dumped' business.

Now that we've caught the fish, got our long sought name in the record books (maybe), who wants to EAT a fish that has lived it's entire life laying around in a hatchery. Do they have excersise wheels in hatcheries? ha ha ha

Nice job and thanks,

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool] From what I've learned in the past, any hatchery pets are just mush bellies anyway. I have eaten hatchery pets only a few times in my life and the taste was not pleasant. I even used some our own OFRs (old family recipies).

When I went to AZ with TD, I found out something different about their hatchery pets. The belly area of them was rather firm and the meat was more of a pink color. So close to natural. We kept a few and had them for breakfast. Yummmmmy.

Now back to the subject. How would a big old mushbelly look mounted on the wall?? I would prefer something that has all of it's fins and all of it's dignity.

What do you think they would do in the case of a C&R type of guy?? Say for example I catch the "Big One" over there. They take down all my info, weigh and measure the fish, then I release it. Then you come up in an hour or so and catch the same fish are you now the new State Record hoder??

I strongly feel that these monster fish caught at pay to play lakes(since they are not DFG regulated) should not participate in the CA DFG record books.

The records belong to licensed individuals fishing by the rules in State regulated waters, following the State rules.
[signature]
[size 2] I would have to agree with the health concern of the fish. I also noticed alot of hatchery fish dumped in these pay to play lakes seem mooshy.[unimpressed][/size]

[size 2] They strike me as over weight and do not have good tone and definition.[unsure][/size]

[size 2] I like JR idea or comment, put excercise wheels and dumbells in hatchery so they can work out![crazy][/size]
[signature]