Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ICE FISHING!!!! really?
Ice fishing to me is those little cubes I use to keep my drinks cold. It is still in the upper 90's and ice fishing pops up?

Anyway, I decided to catch an hour before and during the rain to try out the Cabela's glass and the Kraken reel. They worked fantastic!

[Image: 007_zps5bf63776.jpg]
[Image: 008_zpsff14858c.jpg]

Oh and this is why I like circle hooks
[Image: 010_zps577d4533.jpg]
[signature]
Those are some nice fish! Thanks for the post FG.

Yeah I was already thinking of Ice fishing myself. Gonna plan a ice fishing fish lake trip with a 14 year old kid who still has yet to catch a fish all by himself.

Last time I took him we got the ugly skunk and he couldn't really cast yet. Had to duck and cover several times! Maybe a trip to Yuba is in order for some carp 1st before the snow flies.
[signature]
Ya gotta love a place that you can go out and catch nice fish like that in an hour.

Do you tie all your carp flies on circle hooks? Do you set the hook or wait for the fish to hook himself? I am curious how that works on flies. Seems like they would spit them out too fast to make a difference.

Yeah, ice fishing. I am enjoying the summer still and really looking forward to a long fall ... I hope! Funny that the ice fishing posts have had more activity than anything else for the last 3 weeks.
[signature]
Yeah thinking about it. My son has been begging for me to take him for years. May happen this winter.
[signature]
I would be up for some Yuba Carpage
[signature]
Yes I tie my own flies and yes they will spit it on many occasions. Carp is a full contact fishing style. Not like trout.
Bass on the other hand, just figure out a retrieve speed that meets theirs and hang on.

Using the Glass rod I did loose a couple Carp as it is harder to really set the hook. I still use a Gurgler and that is the best! Watching those big lips come up and setting the hook.
[Image: IMG_0861_zps7ea72a0b.jpg]

OH, and the little piggie that didn't go wee wee wee all the home[Wink][Wink]

[Image: 377673_3791571286476_429880659_n_zps578c85f5.jpg]
[signature]
Ice fishing is fun Joni, you should try it some time [cool]. Nice carp and bass by the way, are all your carp caught on the JR? Do you have any knowledge of some good spots to get hooked up on a lunch break? I work like three minutes away from the Jordan and would love to get a fix during lunch.
[signature]
No doubt it is fun, but it is like the store now stocking for Christmas.....wait for it I say.
[signature]
ive been thinking about ice fishing because the dog days of summer have got me down and totally skunked. I havent caught anything in several weeks so I have been thinking of colder days... much colder... not sure whats been going on but I cant seem to catch anything latley...
[signature]
Hey let me know when you go. I am looking for a group to get out with. Fish Lake and Strawberry are on my hit list this year.
[signature]
[quote flyfish_88]ive been thinking about ice fishing because the dog days of summer have got me down and totally skunked. I havent caught anything in several weeks so I have been thinking of colder days... much colder... not sure whats been going on but I cant seem to catch anything latley...[/quote]

You're not the only one. Three trips, three skunks. I just hope that it doesn't stay that way. I got one more trip planned for Labor Day and hopefully that won't be a bust.
[signature]
Are you guys fishing lowland lakes? I am curious to know where the warm weather is messing up fishing. Thanks.
[signature]
Good point Cpierce. I have had slow days but fish still biting.
I do better in the winter, but not on the Hard Deck.
[signature]
Winter fly fishing is the greatest... 99% I am the only one on the river. Although I have learned when it's below 30 all you do is deal with iced up guides.
[signature]
ive been fishing mainly the southfork, henrys fork, and the teton cuz they are all close. I have been humbled big time latley. im not much of a dry fly fisherman and work everyday 9-5 so i dont make it out till evening. even when i do throw on what i know they are rising to i still cant seem to get anything to rise. so i get frustrated and switch to my old reliable streamers and throw them till after dark. no dice...
[signature]
Dry flies are the best, but nymphing is the way to go to catch fish on a regular basis.
Maybe try some scuds/sows, pupas, nymphs, emergers.
[signature]