Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I got a Muzzleloader deer
This deer tag this year about killed me. I have put in countless hours scouting and hunting with little to show. On opening day I had three good bucks pushed out of the country by elk hunters. Then I went on a 7 day dry spell where I didn't see a buck I wanted to shoot, and I walked 38 miles. I headed up last thursday night for the last couple days of the hunt. In the Morning I headed into an area I have had some luck in before. I stopped to glass and saw a small bunch of deer. I saw that one was a branch antlered buck. With literally only hours left to hunt I decided to take him if I had the chance. I watched them go over a ridge and I took off as fast as I could. When I got there he was 117 yards. My sight was set and I put the Hot Rod Hawken on the shooting sticks. I knew that my sight was set for 100 so I was going to hold a pinch high. I don't normally like to do this but I felt like I didn't have time to set the sight for the shot. So I held for a high shoulder shot since the lungs were blocked by brush. As the rifle cracked the smoke blocked my sight but I heard a solid WHOP!!! I put the binoculars up and saw the deer running away, minus the buck. I reloaded and headed for the spot I last saw him. I got there and I didn't need the follow up shot. The buck was DOA. The bullet hit the shoulder and crushed it. What was left of the bullet was under the hide in the neck. It was the fastest kill shot I have ever had with a muzzleloader. The Rifle was my 45 cal fast twist Hot Rod Hawken. The load was a 409 gr paper patched RCBS 11mm rifle bullet. I used 80 gr of Pyrodex P and an over powder wad.
This combination will shoot sub 2" groups at 100 yards. If I do my part I have shot sub 1" groups with it. This was my fist animal with a 45 cal. It was great to be able to get an animal with this rifle. Ron

[Image: Deer11small_zps20b123e5.jpg]

[Image: Deer05small_zps0b0e79c1.jpg]
[signature]
very nice !
[signature]
Awesome deer thanks for sharing!
[signature]
Great buck. Happy for you man.
[signature]
Thanks everyone. I really had my hopes up for a huge deer but I just had a tough year finding a good one. Ron
[signature]
Nice going Ron. That's a nice buck. Love hunting with the ML's. This is the first year in maybe ten years I haven't hunted with the ML's. I have a T/C 45 I have never shot yet. I'll have to try your recommended load. Having a hard time finding my buck also. Wish I had the elk tag for that area as I've seen some monster bulls. You know where I'm hunting so you know I'm trying to hold out. Passed on 6 shooter bucks already just looking for the special one. Off work for the last ten days of the season so I'm hoping for some weather to move in. Again great job Ron!

Rod
[signature]
I bet your seeing some monsters. A couple friends of mine have killed a couple of pigs. Your area is tough but your looking for a single hermit buck that hates others and only comes out to play when the does are ready. Keep the east end in the back of your mind. Ron
[signature]
Beauty deer! Congrats!
[signature]
Nice work Ron. You deserved much more after taking me to school last year, but anyone should be happy with that buck.. . . especially with the ole smoke pole. It's not a diSadvantage to you though! [cool]

Thanks again!
[signature]
Thanks everyone! [cool][cool][cool]
[signature]
Congrats on the buck.
[signature]
congrats great looking buck!
[signature]
Nice buck Ron, sounds like you made a great shot. How wide is the rack?
[signature]
I didn't measure it but it is 20" or 21" at best. Ron
[signature]
Wow, I guess I need to learn to take better pics, mine suck[frown] compared to your pics. If you don't mind me asking, and I'm not trying to give you a hard time, how many feet are you behind the deer rack? I've seen pics like that before but I really have no clue on what I need to do to get one that looks so good[:/]. Thanks for any help you can provide Ron.
[signature]
The deer is actually laying in his stomach. I have to sit the head down and go start the camera. Then I get back to the buck and my knees are against his back and neck. SO I am as close as I can get after running up and then picking up the head. In this picture you can see I am as close as I can get. The difference is getting the camera as close as possible for the wide angle.

[Image: Deer09small_zpsbf3da576.jpg]

The best hint I can give to make a great picture is get the head up so there is sky behind the antlers. If the antlers are not sky-lined, then they tend to get lost in the background. Also if the antlers are above the person in the picture it gives more height to the buck.

[Image: Deer02small_zps2943e27f.jpg]

[Image: 2009buck08-A.jpg]

Compared to this.

[Image: Bigbuck2.jpg]

[Image: Bigbuck4.jpg]

Sometimes you got to take what you can get and that is where I use the wide angle shot with a close up and a very low tripod.

[Image: Mybuck55.jpg]

In my opinion getting a great shot means getting close and not worring about getting too much background. When you get too much back ground the focus is off the target. Get close and take lots of pictures as the light changes. SOmetimes I turn on the flash to sill shadows.

[Image: Jacobs2011doe1small.jpg]

I took dozens of pictures to get just a few to keep. Which do you like better?

[Image: 9-25-10Lsmall.jpg]

[Image: JohnsbuckA.jpg]

SO setting up a picture is not just about the right distance behind the animal. It is a lot more than that. Ron

[Image: Bull11.jpg]
[signature]
Ron, you are a hunting machine, those are a lot of nice animals[cool]. You sure have the picture taking down to a science as well. Lot of good ideas I can use, thanks for the info.
[signature]
Beautiful pictures . Thanks for sharing . I love all your posts .
[signature]
Just remember that you worked hard for that animal. Take a few minutes to set up the shot and enjoy the picture taking. Remove the grass and brush from the shot. Clean up the blood if you can and take a LOT of pictures. You'll have better odds getting a good picture if you take a lot of pictures. Ron
[signature]