Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield MonsterFest Oct 26 - Nov 2
A buddy and I were planning to take a newbie up to Strawberry for a day of fast catching, but the newbie decided not to come last minute so we decided to go Trophy Hunting at Scofield.

Awesome Day... one of my best fishing days ever. Tally was 35 fish caught between 7:30 and 12:30. Five were over 20". He caught the largest fish of his life, a 24" Fatty Cutt

[inline "James 24in Cutt Scofield Oct2013.jpg"]

I caught my second largest Utah Trout: a 26" Fatty Cutt.

[inline "16in Cutt2.jpg"]

Something bigger than both of those broke off his line and I lost another 2'+ fish at the boat. Most of the 35 fish were 18"+.... boy did we find the Monsters this morning.

Awesome, awesome day up there.
[signature]
Nice report. I think we are going to see more of these fish coming out of there now.
[signature]
Looks like it was a fantastic day! Great post.
[signature]
I hope so.

I'm really glad they decided against poisoning the lake and going for a Tiger/Cutt chub management system.

My buddy wanted to keep his fish for bragging, framing, and eating purposes (can't blame him for that, biggest ever).

The 26" Cutt I caught is still up there... hopefully getting "Chubbier"

They must have recently planted a bunch of 6"-ish Tigers because thousands of them were trolling the shoreline by the Scofield Marina.
[signature]
I have not fished scofield for four years, its good to see good reports. Just curious were you trolling or jigging?
[signature]
Some beast cuts! Nice work. Did you catch anything besides the cuts? Also, just curious, what is the biggest fish you've caught?
[signature]
We were trolling most of the morning.

We caught all Cutts with the exception of one dink Rainbow I didn't even add to the day's tally. That silly little slimer hit a lure almost as big as he was.

The biggest fish I've ever caught are off-shore types (Halibut and Salmon).

The Biggest Utah trout I've caught is the Tiger pictured in my Avatar.

I posted the story about it here:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=781619;#781619"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...?post=781619;#781619[/url]

I should add... Saturday was the busiest I've seen Scofield in the last two years. There were boats trailers lining the entire launch and bank tanglers everywhere. I saw other fish coming in so it looked like a good day all the way around up there.
[signature]
Hey MD, no big ones today. A few in the 18-20 inch range, all cutts. Most were under footers for me today. I saw the tiger schools you mention, they were really small. Let's see if the video link works for me.
[signature]
I'll even add a video of a trout I caught today. Nothing special, but it gives a look at fishing from the kayak.
[signature]
Hey those videos are super cool. GoPro or something else? I need to shoot some catching video when I have extra hands on deck.
[signature]
[quote MasterDaad]

They must have recently planted a bunch of 6"-ish Tigers because thousands of them were trolling the shoreline by the Scofield Marina.[/quote]

I don't think those were small tigers. It was hordes of chubs. Scofield hasn't had any tiger plantings all year according to the stocking report. I was there on Saturday near the dam. I didn't tie on anything small enough to hook the buggers, but I was thinking they were chubs.
[signature]
[quote FSBO_SLAYER]
I don't think those were small tigers. It was hordes of chubs. Scofield hasn't had any tiger plantings all year according to the stocking report. I was there on Saturday near the dam. I didn't tie on anything small enough to hook the buggers, but I was thinking they were chubs.[/quote]

The fish near the marina were tigers, but boy do I wish they were chubs. I actually cast netted them in the darkness thinking they were chubs, but they were all tigers. Plus when I got back in the afternoon they were easy to tell they were all tigers.

The big school of fish you saw at the dam were mostly chubs, some tigers and some other fish (looked like rainbows but I wasn't paying attention). I actually was able to get a net on the fish by the dam as well but once I did that, they moved offshore and I couldn't get them again (I didn't wait around). If the fish by the marina were chubs, I would have been done with one cast getting bait.
[signature]
I was between the marina and the dam near the bouy. No shortage of them there! Here's some video I took of about a million chubs.
[url "http://youtu.be/Ihfh5SmGgdM"]http://youtu.be/Ihfh5SmGgdM[/url]
[signature]
The stocking report has the normal bureaucratic delay. Those were Tiger Trout. The UDWR stocked even more of them at the Madsen Bay ramp on Wednesday. When we arrived at the old ramp, we thought we were gonna get enough chubs to last the winter in no time at all. They weren't chubs. They were Tigers.
[signature]
Hmmm I should have looked more closely. Well, they should be able to make a dent in the chub population for sure then.
[signature]
Speaking of Tigers, we didn't catch any that day and so far this year I've caught only a few.

I think they troll shallower than we were fishing.

Next time up I need to spend some time hitting the shorelines harder.
[signature]
Just an FYI, I spent a good amount of time trolling all along the shore, likely a lot closer than where you were fishing from the boat. And I still didn't get any tigers. Could be various reasons but overall, it sure seems like you are catching the cutts just fine.

Also, yes it was a gopro I was using.
[signature]
I agree they were definately tigers
[signature]
Nice Fish!!. I guess I should tkae more time at Scofield. Thanks
[signature]
Thanks! Last year Scofield was frozen just after Thanksgiving so time is running out.

I'm still looking for a personal best breaker 31"+.....
[signature]