Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zombie fish in the MP?
In my last two trips to the MP I've run across both Rainbows and Whitefish with large whitish growths on them making them look more like Japanese Koi than there respective species. Anyone have an idea what disease may cause this?
[signature]
Common this time of year. Some say it is because of Human handling wiping the protective film off. Or could be after spawn morph.
[signature]
Interesting. Thanks flygoddess. Any idea why they become so docile?
[signature]
I think it is because they are dying.
[quote]
Spawning syndrome in Utah brown trout

Occasionally, anglers in the Provo, Ogden, Blacksmith Fork and other rivers notice numbers of sick or dying brown trout. This condition usually affects large, mature fish and is most often noticed in the autumn during periods of low, clear water when the fish are spawning and more aggressive than normal.

Anglers usually notice fish with large red open sores, or skin covered with a white cottony substance which is a fungus. Typically, less than 10 percent of the fish in the stream are affected, but their dramatic appearance in clear water often alarms anglers.

This condition is commonly called "spawning syndrome," although it can occur at other times of the year. It is thought to be caused by the stress and aggression of spawning behavior or other unknown stressors, at a time of year when flows are low and fish are more crowded than usual. Fight wounds and abrasions from spawning can lead to secondary bacterial infections and/or fungal infections. Open sores can lead to loss of fluids and electrolytes in fish, causing death in some individuals.
[signature]
They get banged up pretty bad with the spawn, low water, human handling, they get sick and die, happens, they are fish.
[signature]
Interesting that you found a whitefish with the fungus. I have been catching a fair number of whities on the LoPro from one hole lately and they have all been healthy. However, there have been several dead or dying browns found on each trip.

As others have said, it is an annual post spawning occurrence. Natures way of thinning the herd and providing nutrients for the fry. No big deal.
[signature]
Maybe I should try flesh flies like they do in Alaska. I wonder....
[signature]
[#0000FF]I can attest that the fuzzy fungus thing has been an annual post-spawn thing on the lower Provo for decades. It showed up every fall going clear back to the early 60's...when I first fished that stretch of river. Broke my young angler's heart to see some of the huge browns that lived there in those days...covered with the crud. Found one dying fish over 30 inches still flopping next to shore...with hardly any skin surface not covered over. I could smell it before I saw it. Smelled like it had already been dead a week.

I too caught a lot of big whitefish in the river...both above and below the old trestle. But I cannot remember ever seeing whitefish or rainbows with the same fungus as the browns.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Glad you started this post. I'm new to fly fishing and was on the Lower Provo yesterday. I about bumped into what I was thinking was a dead fish before it swam away. Kinda freaked me out[shocked]. Glad to hear it's not out of the ordinary, even though it's pretty Sad to witness in person. Thanks for the post.
[signature]