Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pheasant club advice
I work a ton of hours and was thinking about joining a pheasant club anywhere close to the salt lake valley. I have a Springer I'll be working with (has been on pigeons but not pheasants yet). If Anyone has any opinions on any clubs they've hunted I would appreciate the feedback. Thanks in advance.
[signature]
Specifically looking for value of membership, club house amenities, cover, friendliness of club, how easy it is to get to, how strong the birds fly, etc. I would be looking for a place to take customers to as well so would like a place where the club house is clean and hospitable.

Thanks again,
[signature]
The one i like the best is between nephi and lavan. And I think its called four mile hunting club. It has realy good flyers and great cover. If you want to train a dog good cover is really important.
[signature]
Thanks, what is their club house like?
[signature]
Its been a while since I have hunted there but I think it was ok. They might have updated it though.
[signature]
haven't ever been out there, but I've got a buddy that hunts out of Wasatch wing and clay, near cedar fort. Their web site shows a pretty nice clubhouse, but again, I have not been there.

Where I have been is the Pleasant Valley Hunting Preserve (formerly Hickins Chickens) of of Duchene. It was a first rate experience with great guides, dogs and terrain. Long way to drive but I've always had a great time out there.
[signature]
Wasatch Wing and Clay clubhouse is about 2 years old and gorgeous. They have indoor seating and big screen tv's. I think they also had a big indoor fireplace.Last time I was there they also had an archery pro shop.
They offer trap and sporting clays if you don't feel like chasing wild birds.
They are open on tuesday nights also for a trap league.
[signature]
Thanks, I've hunted hickeys before and it's great but that drive is more than I can do.

I used to belong to the UT Hunt Club years ago. I believe it was the same property as Wasatch wing and clay, but am not certain. The cover was terrible then, nothing but sagebrush and a few ditches if you could drive through the greasy fields without getting stuck. I need to check it out now and see if it's more than it was. By the look of their club house on the web, it looks very nice so it's probably much better all the way around. I figured someone on this board would belong to it and could give me a thumbs up or down.

Thanks for your reply
[signature]
Thanks, I need to try and head out there and check it out.
[signature]
You might as well just drive out to pleasant valley. I guide a good amount out there so I may be a little partial. Although I can't say how other places are ran but I can tell you that every single client that I have hunted with in the last 5 years has told me personally that they enjoy hickins hands down over any preserve/club in Utah. They cultivate their fields specifically for upland bird cover. All the washes are nice and thick and usually hold residual birds from previous hunts and such. As for the birds, I have heard horror stories of hunters having to literally kick the birds out of a pile of dirt to get them to fly. The birds out of hickins are great flyers and strong. Some of the hunts I had this year the guys have actually had a bit of a struggle knocking down some of the big hearty roosters that are out there. So anyways, PVHP has good membership rates and are very friendly. Also they are highly focused on the hunt as a whole. Make sure you enjoy yourself and get you plenty of opportunities to shoot your birds. I would be happy to take you out there this year and let you see what you can offer to any clients that you might want to show a good time. Also that place is fantastic for training a good dog. Right now it is very cold out there and there is a good amount of snow making it a little difficult to convince the birds play but the season goes till the end of march. It will start to get busy again after mid winter and we get some nicer days. Pm me I'll get you my number and I can answer any questions you have.
[signature]
I joined it this year and have hunted other clubs from Nephi to one up north..So far the one at Wasatch Wing and clay has been one of the best..
[signature]
Thanks for your input. I need to check it out.
[signature]
I was invited to hunt at High Brass Hunting club and had a great time, nice club house, great flying birds, good cover from grass to sage brush. It is in Hansel Valley west of Tremonton, little bit of a drive but not bad, mostly freeway.
[signature]
Thanks
[signature]