Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kelp rabbits
Here goes, believe it or not this is a true story. In 1949 the albacore were running half way from Pt. Fermin to the West End of Catalina. The best way to locate the longfins was by finding working birds, boiling fish, sauerbacks and kelp paddies. The skipper of the Fisherman II was cruising the area looking for them when he noticed an object on top of a large kelp paddy. As he gunned the boat to the paddy he almost swallowed his hat. The object had two long ears and was hopping around on the paddy, obviously trapped. Yes, it was a Jackrabbit. The skipper humanely shot the rabbit and chummed the area where they proceeded to catch a big bunch of albacore. How did the hare come to be on a kelp paddy 15 miles to sea? Well, it seems that Santa Barbara Island was about 15 miles up swell and the island in those days was loaded with Jackrabbits probably brought there by the early farmers. The rabbit some how got on the paddy and floated down the albacore area. Ask me someday about the "stuff" that can be found on those massive kelp paddies in the middle of the ocean.
[signature]
my largest albi i have ever gotton was in the channel between catalina and L.A. a 66# long fin caught in the year 1984 the heaviest the boat i was working on the fury 2 was 78# the two weeks they were biting the funny thing is no troll fish we found them under working birds like in your story
[signature]
now are you talkin albacore "fish" or albacore bird?? haha i ain,t from there hha so don,t know which one that tis. haha these birds also don,t sound like their meat eater either, but i wondered if one of them could of flew him thee and he got on that paddyl. haha never heard of a rabbit climbin or bein and i,m askin what.s on them paddies. and what they are. haha on no paddy, and driftin down thru. haha later[Smile][Wink] did someone have too many beers that day?? haha later
[signature]
well that sure is somethin. well i,m in vermont so we sure are a ferpeice away from each other. haha [Smile]
[signature]
do people live on that island, or is it just inhabitable?? and only birds live there?? there isn,t too many times that when ya fish that ya don,t see workin birds no matter where ya go. even here we got the old kingfisher. he,ll tell ya. there,s fish in my brook and where. they got to eat too. listen to your nature and you,ll survive too. all ya got to do is watch them.[Smile]
[signature]
is santa barbara island open to fishing ? i thought i read somewhere it not at this time used to fish it about 20 years ago when i was a deckhand on the grande alway got some nice fish out of there
[signature]
that,s realy somethin. never heard of a place like that where the animals took over. didnt, the farmers eat none of em and could keep control of em?? seems though they could of done sonethin? well the feds took it over now so,s dont, matter anyways i guess. but its good ya got good fishin there. well as fer as birds, i believe it,s like that everywhere.i always say watch do as the nature doesand you,ll learn, and git what your goin fer,. like i said we got kingfishers here fer my brooks and ya got your ducks and geese, so there feedin bring round the little minnows to em and then the fish go round where they are.and ya fish round where they are. now we got those stinkin blue herrins and they like my little brook trout in my brooks and they eat alot. and we can,t shoot em. but their worth not much here. i,ve seen alot em comin up thru the last few years.and they seem to keep comin. i think when they go somehere and see another blue herrin they telo each other where the good fishin is and they show up there. haha makes me HOT. i don,t like releasin my beautiful true natives and havin them suckers eat em. later[Sad][Smile]
[signature]
you ever try eating a jack rabbit ? i have not recommended !!!!
[signature]
we do have jack rabbits in certai areas of vermont, but mainly their just like a rabbit ya raise ya git only wild. but no i ain,t never et one. otherwise i wouldn,t of asked. don,t really know the difference except longer ears and skinnier. haha why,s the meat so different?? tell me. will ya?? later
[signature]
taste isn't so bad ( don't taste like chicken LOL ) but the meat is tough and stringy
[signature]
in other words a delicacy when starvin?? hahaha i had a moose that tasted like that before. hha yuck!!! and there was no taste. just string. haha never tried an elk before, but would like to. i like buffalo, squirell rabbit, my kind, hhaha, most all i think the moose was a old one. that,s why he was that way. later[Smile]
[signature]
haha like i said here, that,s why we got the kingfisher! he does the same thing and ya see him, YA FISH! [Wink][laugh]
[signature]
well believe it or not we have seagulls here in utah ( state bird....long story ) but never have i seen them diving on fish
[signature]
haha, yeah, don,t git so technicle, haha just makin a point here, not to git in an uproar haha or git the feathers bent, haha, BUT, no matter whether they fly over, sit on the water dive, there tellin ya theres fish around no matter where you are what state your in or where you just fihin., my point is, find birds finds animals that eat fish your gonna find fish. that,s nature. haha they like to eat no matter which ways they do it too. haha i have sea gulls here too. and you wouldnt figure we would, but there tryin to git where theres clean water, clean air, so they move. too. they do what they have to do too. haha they go where they waht anyays haha alto at lake champlain. even up to mcdonalds parkin lot haha that tells ya somethin haha not too fer from new hampshire. either. haha[Smile][Wink]
[signature]
the thing is you don't see them on the water now if you go to the local dump that were they all are but not my idea of a good fishing hole
[signature]
haha no not at the dump! haha then what,s mcdonalds?? haha burger king, pizza hutt, there all in a row up to leb. haha that,s where they hang! says somethin dont it?? hahah[Smile]
[signature]